Berkeley Police Department asks community to help identify alleged prowler

Berkeley Police Department released a Nixle alert Friday morning in which it asked the public for help identifying a suspect wanted in connection with a prowling incident.

According to the alert, the suspect pictured in the image above was caught on video Sunday about 12:30 a.m. The alert alleged that the video showed the suspect was attempting to open car doors and was “seen hiding as cars passed by.” The video also revealed that the suspect entered the backyard of a residence on the 500 block of Spruce Street “without a legal reason,” although the alert said there was no evidence that the suspect burglarized that residence.

“This same subject has been caught on video on other occasions in the area of Northhampton and Spruce Streets and is considered a person of interest by Property Crimes Detectives following thefts in the area,” the alert said.

The alert described the suspect as a light-skinned Black male with a thin goatee between the ages of 40 and 50, based on the video. He was also described as 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 10 inches in height, weighing between 160 to 190 pounds.

The suspect was seen wearing a dark jacket with a collar and a zippered front, blue jeans, black boots and a black baseball cap with either a purple or blue bill in all instances when he was caught on video, according to the alert. He also walks with a “very distinctive limp” and may have a deformity of some kind on his left hand, the alert said.

Anyone with information about this suspect is asked to call the Berkeley Police Property Crimes Detail at 510-981-5737.

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.