Berkeley teen faces charges of assault with a firearm

Daniel Kim/File

A Berkeley resident is facing charges of assault with a semiautomatic firearm, according to a complaint filed March 9 by the Alameda County Superior Courts.

Aaron Meredith, 19, was initially arrested Jan. 19 on suspicion of residential prowling and illegal possession of a gun, according to the Alameda County’s declaration of probable cause. Ballistics testing later found that the gun had been used in two shootings that occurred in Berkeley in December. The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged Meredith with both shootings March 9, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

One shooting took place at Sacramento Market on Dec. 25, the complaint states. Meredith emerged from a vehicle and allegedly fired several rounds through the window of the Sacramento Street Market, according to the declaration. A female bystander in a nearby vehicle was injured by broken glass during the shooting. She later identified the shooter as Meredith in a photo lineup, although she referred to him as “Vonnie.”

The second shooting took place Dec. 29 at 1425 Ward St. According to the declaration, several people got out of a passing vehicle and shot a man in front of the building. The bullets also hit the second story window of a house, which resulted in a 5-year-old boy being injured by glass debris. The complaint alleges that Meredith was also one of the suspects.

Meredith has entered a plea of “no contest” for the Jan. 19 illegal gun charge. He is scheduled to appear at René C. Davidson Courthouse for a plea hearing April 5.

Contact Shayann Hendricks at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @shayannih.