Honey garlic shrimp

Chelsea Song/Staff

We know that shrimp can be a polarizing food. You either love it, or you hate it. Well, if you’re in the “love it” camp, we have a gift for you. If you’re in the “hate it” camp, think about all of the health benefits shrimp has to offer! Shrimp is great because it’s low in calories, protein-rich and you can customize it to a flavor that suits you. If that’s not enough to convince you, you’ll just have to try this recipe for yourself. Get your pots and pans ready! Your taste buds and body will thank you for it later.

Ingredients

1/2 pound medium-sized uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined

1/6 cup honey

1/8 cup soy sauce

1/2 tablespoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon olive oil

1 freezer bag

Whisk together your honey, soy sauce and minced garlic. Make sure the honey is thoroughly mixed in to your marinade so that the sweetness is distributed evenly.

If your shrimp is frozen, soak it in cold water for about three minutes. To devein your shrimp, take a toothpick and run it along the back of the shrimp, where you can scoop out the black line that runs along its body. Once your shrimp is defrosted, pour your mixture into a freezer bag and add your uncooked shrimp. Let this marinade in the fridge for 15 minutes.

After the 15 minutes, take out the freezer bag and remove the shrimp from the bag. Don’t throw away the marinade! You’ll need this later. Take a large pan and set it on the stove at medium heat. Pour olive oil on the pan and let it heat up for about one minute. Once the olive oil is hot, place your shrimp in the pan and cook on each side for about 45 seconds. Add the rest of the marinade, and cook on each side for another 3o seconds each. When you’ve removed your shrimp to serve, soak your pan in hot water with a drop of dish soap, so that your marinade doesn’t stick to the pan!

Ah take a bite, and join us at the “love it” camp. If you’re not quite there yet, we guess we’ll just have to whip up another recipe to convince you.

Contact Chelsea Song at [email protected].