Chad Hansen taken by Jets in 4th round of NFL Draft

David Burnal/ISI Photos/File
San Diego, Ca - September 10, 2016: The Cal Bears vs the San Diego St Aztecs at Qualqcomm Stadium. Final score Cal Bears 40, San Diego St Aztecs 45.

Chad Hansen, Cal football’s leading receiver in the 2016 season, has been taken by the New York Jets in the fourth round of the NFL Draft. The Jets saw a hit to their wide receiving core when Brandon Marshall left in free agency, and used the 141st pick on Hansen. He’ll be joining fellow Bear Davis Webb in New York, Webb was drafted by the Giants on Friday night in the third round. 

Hansen began his career at Idaho State, transferring to Cal after his freshman season and redshirting the following year. In his first season playing for the Bears, he played very little behind a deep group of wide receivers. But in 2016, he and Davis Webb formed a strong combination, and Hansen was top five in the nation in receptions and yards per game. At the end of the season, he was named to the first-team All-Pac-12.

He ran a 4.53 in the 40 yard dash at the NFL Combine, an unspectacular mark for a wide receiver, but impressed with his 4.13 second mark in the 20-yard shuttle.

Andrew Wild is the assistant sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @andrewwild17.