BPD arrests two individuals for allegedly carrying a concealed firearm

Daniel Kim/File

Berkeley Police Department arrested two individuals in separate incidents for allegedly carrying a concealed firearm, according to a BPD Nixle alert sent about 12:46 p.m. Tuesday.

According to the alert, about 10:14 p.m. on April 28, a BPD patrol officer stopped stopped a Lexus near San Pablo Avenue and Carleton Street for an alleged equipment violation. While the officer performed a search of the vehicle unrelated to the alleged equipment violation, the officer allegedly discovered a .357 revolver concealed on the floor, according to the alert.

The officer arrested the driver of the Lexus, identified as Walter Green, 32, of Berkeley, for allegedly carrying a concealed firearm and carrying a loaded firearm in public. The firearm was also reported as stolen, and Green was booked for alleged possession of stolen property at the Berkeley City Jail, according to the alert.

On April 29, 2017 about 11:01 p.m., the same BPD officer stopped a vehicle for allegedly having an expired registration, according to the Nixle alert. The alert alleged that the officer discovered a loaded and concealed pistol inside of a backpack on the front passenger seat after performing a search of the vehicle.

The alert also alleged that narcotics were found in the vehicle. According to the alert, the driver, identified as Lamar Cotton, 32, of Richmond, was arrested for allegedly carrying a concealed firearm and carrying a loaded firearm in public.

The alert also noted that the investigating officer performed a records check of Cotton’s criminal history and found that the suspect was a convicted felon. In addition to the charges above, Cotton was booked for being a felon allegedly in possession of a firearm, according to the alert.

Contact Bobby Lee at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @bobbylee_dc.