A song for every day of dead week

Isabelle Doerschlag/File

Dead week is a troubling time with floods of all different types of emotions. One second you are totally relaxed and unfazed by the thought of finals, the next you are pulling your hair out in Main Stacks trying to understand a theory. To help cope with this dilemma, we at the Clog have selected one song for each day of dead week that outlines the phases that we UC Berkeley students go through during this trying week.

Monday: “Coastin’ ” by Zion I ft. K. Flay

In the beginning of dead week, we think to ourselves, “Oh wow! I have so much time to get everything done!”. Even though we might study a bit in the morning to get our dead week going, none of the stress has kicked in yet, and we can kick our feet up and enjoy the day. Usually, you feel like you’re on top of the world, with no classes to attend and not a test in site… yet.

Tuesday: “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” by Whitney Houston

During the day, you get back to your study grind and get a good amount of work done, but once the hour strikes 2 p.m., you’re done. You’re restless, and all you want to do is dance around and basically do anything but study. On top of the restlessness, fraternity date parties often lie on this Tuesday, so if that is your cup of tea, you could be dancing the night away at one of those.

Wednesday: “I Feel It Coming” by The Weeknd

This is when things start to get real! Wednesday is the official day that the waves of stress and anxiety crash over the UC Berkeley student population. You’re seriously feeling finals coming on by the middle of the week, and you don’t know how you feel about it. On the one hand, you have to take exams, but on the other hand, once you’re done, it’s summer vacation! This is the day you usually talk endlessly about being stressed but don’t actually get that much work done.

Thursday: “I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues” by Elton John

Thursday is typically a downer on the spectrum of dead week emotions. Usually you are less motivated to hit up the libraries to study, and default to studying in your pajamas in bed. Definitely a Postmates-your-dinner type of night. “I guess that’s why they call it the blues.”

Friday: “Stressed Out” by Twenty One Pilots

The song “Stressed Out” perfectly describes the way you feel on Friday of dead week. You kind of realize that you haven’t been as productive as you had hoped earlier on in the week and try to catch up before the weekend comes. There is something about cramming during the weekend that is even more stressful than Friday, so this is your last-ditch effort to make up for the first four days.

Saturday: “Get’cha Head In The Game” by Troy Bolton

After being stressed out all day Friday, you are re-energized! Considering you don’t have a final tomorrow, you are ready to study without the pressure of acknowledging that you have a test the next day.

Sunday: “All Night” by Chance the Rapper

Replace every time they say “drinkin’ all night” to “studyin’ all night” and this song will fit Sunday perfectly. If you have a final Monday, there is a good chance that a number of us will be pulling all-nighters.

Contact Allison David at [email protected].