BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 26, 2022

Partial settlement reached in lawsuit related to 2015 Berkeley balcony collapse

ALVIN WU | FILE

|

Staff

MAY 05, 2017

A partial settlement has been reached between the plaintiffs and some of the defendants in a lawsuit related to a June 2015 balcony collapse at the Library Gardens apartment complex that killed six and injured seven others, according to a press release sent by Rains Lucia Stern, a law firm representing one of the families of a victim killed in the collapse.

Some of the defendants involved in the design and construction of the balcony have agreed to pay compensation to the seven injured students and the families of the six deceased students, according to the press release. The sum which the defendants have agreed to pay is confidential, according to the press release.

“The amounts paid will never restore health or lives of the students but the payments reflect an effort to maximally compensate the victims within the means of the wrongdoers,” the press release stated.

The balcony collapse occurred June 16, 2015, at the Library Gardens apartment complex at 2020 Kittredge Street and killed six people, including Ashley Donohoe, 22, of Rohnert Park, and Irish students Olivia Burke, Eoghan Culligan, Niccolai Schuster, Lorcan Miller and Eimear Walsh, all 21.

According to the press release, litigation will continue to proceed against other defendants, including the Library Gardens apartment complex’s corporate owner and property manager. A trial date has been set in early 2018.

Contact Bobby Lee at 

MAY 05, 2017