BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Jacobi Gordon, Matt Bradley commit to Cal men's basketball team

JUNE 08, 2017

The Cal men’s basketball team has picked up a pair of four-star recruits from the class of 2018 as Jacobi Gordon and Matt Bradley have announced their commitment to join the Bears for the 2018-19 season.

Scout has ranked Gordon, who is currently attending Global Learning Village in Houston, Texas, 84th among his class of 2018 contemporaries and 22nd for his position. The 6’6”, 210-pound small forward averaged 11.2 points and 4.4 rebounds with the Houston Hoops at the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League, leading his team to an 8-8 record. Gordon has shown he can finish well at the rim while also venturing outside the three-point line.

The wing received offers from national powerhouses in Connecticut, Oklahoma and Oregon, but Gordon chose to become a Bear after an unofficial visit to the campus. Gordon also received offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Creighton, DePaul, Georgia Tech, Houston, Iowa State, LSU, Miami, NC State, Oklahoma State, Penn State, SMU, TCU and Texas A&M.

Cal head coach Wyking Jones and assistant coach Chris Walker may have swayed Gordon to select Cal. Walker was Gordon’s former coach in AAU ball and Jones grew up with Gordon’s father.

Gordon announced his decision May 31 via Twitter: “After careful consideration and prayer, I have verbally committed to continue my college education as a student-athlete at the University of California Berkeley. Thanks to all the coaches at Cal for recruiting me and helping me with this process. #TogetherWeAttack #GoldenBears.”
Bradley, who received offers from Cal State Northridge, Nevada, UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, Utah State and UTEP, hails from San Bernardino but will play at Wasatch Academy in Utah for his senior season.

He is ranked 89th in the nation and 25th at his position, per Scout. According to MaxPreps, the small forward averaged 33.6 points, 10.1 rebounds, 4.2 assists, 2.1 steals and 1.7 blocks in 16 games in his junior season. Bradley also made headlines by dropping 72 points in a January game against Rubidoux High School.

The 6’5”, 210-pound wing has the build of someone destined for the NFL, but doesn’t resort to bully ball, and thrives on the court with a combination of handles, vision and ability to attack off the dribble. Bradley’s frame opens the door for him to become a capable defender and rebounder at the collegiate level.

Corrections: A previous version of the headline accompanying this article misspelled Matt Bradley's name.

Contact Justice delos Santos at 

MAY 03, 2018