‘Twin Peaks: The Return’ recap 1×6: ‘Part VI’

Suzanne Teller/Showtime/Courtesy

This week, Agent Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) is exactly where we left him: standing aloof in the courtyard out front of his doppelgänger’s workplace — now his workplace, because Cooper has assimilated into the doppelgänger’s life.

When Cooper arrives “home,” Dougie’s wife, Janey-E (Naomi Watts) promptly scolds him for failing to pay off an ambiguous $50,000 debt — presumably related to the photo of Dougie (actual Dougie) with a prostitute she received as blackmail.

After some momentary sonic fuzz, we see that Cooper is hallucinating an image of the One-Armed Man inside the Black Lodge. The One-Armed Man has a message for Cooper: “You have to wake up,” he tells Cooper. “Don’t die.”

Meanwhile, FBI Agent Albert Rosenfield (Miguel Ferrer) is off meeting with a woman named Diane (Laura Dern) — whom we can only assume is Agent Cooper’s secretary. And back in Twin Peaks, we see strange and unfamiliar men conspiring to commit a crime together, while vetting a young man named Richard Horne (Eamon Farren) to join them, and it seems something supernatural might be involved. It’s Twin Peaks, what else would we expect?

Richard — already the aggressive type — is furious that the men called him “kid,” and he recklessly drives off. He swerves around traffic at a stop sign, crashes into and kills a child crossing the street with his mother. Richard drives on, clearly blinded by rage. The mother weeps, holding her child as crowds of people stand stunned, and a ghostly golden light shines above them.

Meanwhile, police have found what’s left of Dougie’s car after it was blown up by the folks searching for him (perhaps they are hoping to recover his $50,000 debt). We also get a glimpse of another man we’ve never seen before, but he’s clearly a hitman in pursuit of Dougie (who’s really Cooper now) and another woman — the latter of whom he promptly kills à la the shower scene from “Psycho.”

The next day, Cooper goes to work and is reprimanded by his boss for doodling steps and ladders on the insurance case files. When his boss asks him, “How am I going to make sense of this?” Cooper responds, “Make sense of it,” with a sullen look as if that’s exactly what he’s trying to do himself. The longer the boss looks at Cooper’s drawings on the files, however, his expression changes from one of frustration to one of awe — suddenly he’s thanking Cooper for revealing some “disturbing” detail in the files.

While Cooper’s at work, Janey-E goes to the park to meet the men that Dougie owes $50,000 to. When she learns that he originally only owed $20,000, she calls them out for charging a ridiculous amount of interest, hands them $25,000 and leaves.

In the last few minutes of the episode, we get a glimpse of Hawk (Michael Horse) in the restroom of the Twin Peaks sheriff’s office. While washing his hands, Hawk drops a coin that leads him to see a stall door with notes hidden within it. What the notes contain is yet to be seen.

The episode ends with a scene of Sharon Van Etten performing a show at the Bang Bang Bar as the credits roll.

Is it possible that Richard Horne is the son of fan-favorite Audrey Horne (Sherilyn Fenn) from the original series — though we haven’t seen Audrey herself yet in “Twin Peaks: The Return?” Is the Diane that Rosenfield has found the same Diane that Agent Cooper entrusted all of his findings to via tape recorder in the original series? We can only hope to find out soon.

Sophie-Marie Prime covers television. Contact her at [email protected].