Campus announces search for new Haas dean

Yukun Zhang/Staff

Campus administration announced its search for the new dean of the Haas School of Business on June 28.

The new dean will replace current dean Richard Lyons, whose second term will end July 1, 2018. A search committee for the new dean of Haas has been created, according to Lyons in an email statement. The team includes Haas professors and board members and an MBA candidate, as well as at least one representative from the College of Natural Resources.

Lyons, for his part, plans to make the most of his last year as dean.

“We still have a lot to accomplish together this coming year,” Lyons wrote in an email addressed to the Haas community. “Serving as your dean has been the most fulfilling job of my career, and I plan to remain engaged with Haas for years to come.”

According to Suresh Bhat, Haas’ chief financial officer, the next dean of Haas will be responsible for all academic and administrative operations of the school, including managing Haas’ six degree programs, keeping track of a new five-year strategic plan Haas launched in 2016 and being in charge of recruiting and retaining faculty.

Bhat added that the business school is looking for a leader who will uphold the school’s unique set of defining principles, which sets Haas apart from other top business schools. The principles are as follows: question the status quo, confidence without attitude, students always and beyond yourself. Bhat said Lyons worked with stakeholders to develop them but was the principles’ ultimate architect.

“He was an incredible leader,” Bhat said of Lyons. “He’s one of those remarkable dynamic guys. … You’d be hard-pressed to find anyone who says anything bad about him.”

Haas associate professor Panos Patatoukas agreed that Lyons did a “tremendous job” as dean. Patatoukas said he hopes the new dean is committed to research and teaching, as well as balancing the two.

Alex Park, the former president of the UC Berkeley chapter of Future Business Leaders of America-Phi Beta Lambda, said he hopes Haas’ new dean will help facilitate more networking opportunities for students. Park said the business school should begin to mingle undergrads with MBA candidates, which has not been done at UC Berkeley.

Bhat said he hopes some of Haas’ current faculty members will apply for the position. If a dean leaves a business school, it is common for a respected faculty member to take their place. Bhat emphasized, however, that all applicants are welcome as long as they will continue Lyons’ vision.

Applications are open until January 16. According to the email announcement, the new dean should have an outstanding record in academia, business or government with experience in promoting diversity and inclusion, leading organizations and attracting and retaining distinguished faculty.

Contact Rachael Cornejo at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @RachaelCornejo.