Get down on it

Arya Aliabadi/File

This Saturday was National Dance Day, but the party never truly stops. Come one and come all; it’s time to grab your boogie shoes and get ready to rumble. We at the Clog are here to encourage everyone to dance to the beat of their own drum. Dougie or disco, jive or nae nae. It’s time to get down with your bad self.

If you’re anything like the rest of us, you probably only dance on two rare occasions. The first being when you’re alone and safe in the privacy of your own home. The second being when you’ve had one tequila shot too many and manage to accidentally forget that you were born with two left feet and no sense of rhythm whatsoever.  

The statute of limitations surrounding these two scenarios is completely understandable when one’s fine moves are so hot they can be classified as a fire hazard. 

Everyone feels better after a good shakedown. Studies have shown that dancing improves everyone’s mood by at least 248 percent on a weekly average. While said study is made up, the joy that comes with channeling our inner Usher is all too real. We advise you move whenever and wherever the rhythm compels you to do so. Break it down in the middle of Trader Joe’s, then drop it like it’s hot on your way to Bechtel. While bystanders may be slightly confused about your solo flash mob, they’ll be appreciative of your dedication to the “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” mindset. 

We promise you really don’t need to worry about what others think of your sick moves. Truth be told, people are too caught up in making sure that they don’t look like horrified pelicans when they get jiggy with it to even notice that you just elbowed yourself in the eye during that last dance move. Everyone’s only worrying about themselves so you should do the same.

If anyone has the audacity to insult your dancing we advise you sit them down and kindly explain that you don’t care about their opinion. Then smack them upside the head with the Chem 3A textbook that you spent way too much money on last semester. After that, just moonwalk away slowly and continue getting down with your bad self.

Contact Amanda Chung at [email protected].