BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Man arrested for alleged ice pick stabbing, charges not filed

DANIEL KIM | FILE

AUGUST 14, 2017

Berkeley Police Department arrested a suspect Thursday evening on suspicion of stabbing a victim with an ice pick near Center Street and Shattuck Avenue, but the Alameda County District Attorney declined to file charges against the suspect.

BPD arrested Ian Murphy at 11:52 p.m. Thursday on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon that was not a firearm, according to the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office. Murphy was booked about 5:17 a.m. Friday at Santa Rita Jail and was held on $30,000 bail.

BPD Lt. Andrew Rateaver said the injury sustained by the victim was not life-threatening and BPD Lt. Joe Okies added that the victim was later taken to a local hospital to be treated.

Murphy was scheduled to be arraigned Monday at 9 a.m. at the Gale-Schenone Hall of Justice in Pleasanton. Murphy was ultimately not arraigned after the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office declined to file charges, according to Alameda County District Attorney’s Office spokesperson Rebecca Richardson.

Contact Pooja Bale at [email protected].

AUGUST 14, 2017