BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Organizer of canceled Berkeley rally previously sold protest sticks, shields with Kyle ‘Based Stickman’ Chapman

|

Managing Editor

AUGUST 25, 2017

The organizer of an upcoming “alt-right” rally in Berkeley, who canceled the event Friday for fear of violence, previously sold sticks and shields with Kyle “Based Stickman” Chapman, a prominent “alt-right” member who is facing a felony charge for possession of an illegal weapon in the form of a stick.

Amber Gwen Cummings posted on her Facebook page July 17 advertising shields and sticks that she was selling with Chapman. Chapman, who was arraigned Friday for his felony charge, was filmed hitting the heads of Antifa members and protesters at the “March 4 Trump” rally in Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park. In her post, Cummings listed “signed sticks” for $50 and said Chapman was dropping the price of shields “for (a) limited time” to $250.

She added in the post that all of the proceeds will go to Chapman — she will not receive “a penny.”

“Kyle is legend and will certainly go down in American History and even though these shields are expensive, they will no doubt have a priceless value at some point every shield will come with a hand written signature on it from the man himself,” Cummings said in a July 8 Facebook post. “Kyle needs this funding in order to continue on his journey and Kyle is setting fires in the hearts of men and women world wide.”

It is unclear based on the posts whether the items were sold.

Cummings used a different Facebook account to create the “alt-right” rally Facebook event; however, the person in both profile pictures is the same.

Cummings announced Friday in a statement to The Daily Californian that she does not want people to attend the Aug. 27 “No to Marxism in America” rally because she wants to prevent any violence. She added that she planned on attending the rally “alone,” but should she be “hurt or killed attending this rally,” she asked people to “not retaliate on each other as a result of my injuries.”

In her Facebook post selling protest sticks and shields from July 17, Cummings mentioned her planned Aug. 27 “alt-right” rally.

“If interested let me know and if your going to the August 26th event in SF or the August 27th event in Berkeley let me know and we can arrange to hand deliver them to you,” Cummings said in her post.

Chantelle Lee is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.

AUGUST 27, 2017