Instant ramen power ranking

Ethan Epstein/File

Let’s face it: instant ramen is just one of those things that simply goes hand-in-hand with ramen. Whether it’s a quick meal in between classes or a late-night study snack, we’ve all had very personal experiences with ramen at some time or another during our college careers. Since ramen plays quite a large role in college life, we at the Clog figured that it’s definitely time to give a comprehensive review of some popular instant ramen brands.

Maruchan

An instant ramen brand you’ll see at practically any grocery store, Maruchan has definitely made its mark across a large turf. This brand’s cheap and simple to prepare, as it doesn’t require the opening of any extra seasoning packets. The pros, however, come with their drawbacks, as the flavor of the Maruchan instant ramen noodles is definitely very one-note and not very satisfying – unless you’re absolutely starving. Depending on the flavor you choose, your Maruchan cup noodles may come with two or three minuscule pieces of shrimp, a beef-like substance or a chicken-like substance. If you’re lucky, you may even spot a pea or a kernel of corn sometimes. In a pinch, however, it’s possible for Maruchan to satisfy the need.

Price: 9/10

Taste: 3/10

Shin Cup Noodles

Shin Ramyun is yet another widely popular brand easily found in almost any grocery store. At a slightly higher price than Maruchan, Shin Ramyun definitely comes with a much greater flavor punch. The seasoning packet is separate from the dried cup noodles and is filled with a mix of beef extract, chili and dehydrated vegetables. The broth flavor is noticeably richer, accented by a kick from a balanced chili flavor. The overall soup is then rounded off with an earthy mushroom flavor that adds a whole new dimension to the ramen experience. For those who like saltier, more intense flavors, Shin Ramyun is the way to go.

Price: 8/10

Taste: 7/10

Mama Noodles

Mama is a Thai brand of instant noodles with its own special flavor profile. It’s less commonly found in the typical grocery store, but definitely accessible at almost any Asian supermarket. The flavor can most accurately be described as spicy and sour, much like Tom Yum soup. The instant noodle packs don’t come with any dehydrated vegetables or meat-like substances; they only come with a single seasoning packet for the soup base. The noodles are thin and can become quite soft if you let them sit for a while. Despite the lack of vegetable and meat garnishes, however, this noodle brand definitely isn’t lacking when it comes to bringing the flavor. Mama is definitely the ramen for all the lovers of sour and spicy out there.

Price: 7/10

Taste: 7/10

Cup of Noodle

Cup of Noodle is quite comparable to Maruchan. They’re placed at relatively the same price point and have comparable flavor profiles. Like Maruchan, Cup of Noodle doesn’t really have any other flavor besides the basic artificial flavors of chicken, beef and shrimp. There’s not much balance or depth in the flavor; it’s simply a salty broth with a hint of the flavor stated on the cup label.

Price: 9/10

Taste: 3/10

Indomie

Indomie is a widely popular instant noodle brand from Indonesia. The most popular line of noodles from this brand is the “Mi Goreng,” or “stir fry,” style. Each pack of instant noodles comes with two packets of seasoning with five separate compartments, one with sweet soy sauce, chili sauce and seasoning oil with garlic, and the other with dry seasoning and fried shallot flakes. The multitude of different seasonings from this brand are what sets its rich and robust flavor apart from other brands.

Price: 8/10

Taste: 9.5/10

As you can see, we at the Clog think Indomie is the best instant ramen out there. Enjoy it for a good price and delectable taste!

Contact Judy Shan at [email protected].