Things to do in the Bay Area this fall

The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, CA at sunset.

A previous version of this blog post incorrectly stated that Creatures of the NightLife at the Academy of the Sciences is on Oct. 28. In fact, the event will be held on Oct 26.

Now that it’s October, fall’s finally in full swing. Trader Joe’s is loaded with all things pumpkin spice, Halloween costume suggestions are popping up on Pinterest and pumpkin patch pictures are slowly but surely making their way into our Instagram feeds. And, most importantly, there are dozens of cool events happening in the Bay Area this fall to get us in the autumnal spirit. So, if you’re seeking to live and breathe everything fall, look no further than our favorite things happening in the Bay Area this fall!

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass

While not entirely fall-themed, Hardly Strictly Bluegrass is a completely free, three-day musical festival in Golden Gate Park happening this weekend (October 6-8). There’s a diverse lineup of artists and therefore a guarantee that there’ll be something for everybody. Plus, there’ll be yummy festival food!

Speer Family Farms Pumpkin Patch

Relive your childhood and check out this nearby pumpkin patch in Alameda. It pretty much has everything that the kid in you could ever want (since it’s technically meant for kids) – ziplines, bounce houses and a petting zoo. Oh, and pumpkins.

Six Flags Fright Fest

Although a trip to Six Flags isn’t the easiest or fastest if you don’t have a car, if you’re looking to be scared in more of a family-friendly manner, Fright Fest is definitely the way to go. Make your way through the mazes and and ride some outrageous coasters for a day or night filled with Halloween-filled fun.

Fear Overload Scream Park

If you can handle pretty much anything and enjoy getting the bejeezus scared out of you, look no further than Fear Overload Scream Park in San Francisco. Voted the scariest haunted house in California, the park includes two haunted houses, one of which is entirely pitch black inside only provides you with a flashlight, as well as live entertainment including clowns, creatures, and photo-ops.

Mill Valley Film Festival

Hosted by the California Film Institute, Mill Valley serves as the Bay Area’s premiere film festival. This year, it celebrates its 40th anniversary and includes everything you can imagine from industry panels to small documentaries to big-name films, such as The Upside, starring Bryan Cranston, Nicole Kidman and Kevin Hart. Last year’s film premieres included Oscar winners such as “La La Land” and “Arrival,” and this year is sure to promise no different.

The Color Run

Again, this event isn’t entirely fall-centric, but it’s sure to promise a good time. Get outside and get some easy exercise with your friends as you run (or walk) through 5K all sorts of blasts and pops of color. The best part is seeing how your white clothes turn out at the end of the day!

Creatures of the NightLife at the Academy of the Sciences 

Scared by the word “sciences?” Never fear, because there’s hardly any science involved here! Head to the California Academy of the Sciences on October 26 as it’s transformed into scenes straight out of 1980s horror movies. Attractions include a drag show, costume contest, a new planetarium installation and a “haunted” arcade.

Be sure to seize the day and explore the Bay Area this autumn. Go and get your fall on!

Contact Chloe Lelchuk at [email protected].