Recipe: Healthy pumpkin banana bread

Lianne Frick/Senior Staff
Lianne Frick/Staff

There’s nothing like the scent of freshly baked banana bread lingering in your kitchen on a cool fall day. It warms your heart and takes you back to your childhood. I always buy bananas in bulk, and by the end of the week, many have ripened beyond my liking. So, whether I’ve bruised bananas or am itching for some fall comfort food — or both — this is my go-to recipe. I’ve made it at least six times and have no intention of stopping my addiction any time soon. It’s the perfect treat to have for a breakfast, snack or dessert and to satisfy your pumpkin-flavored cravings until your fall food-palooza on Thanksgiving.

Ingredients:

Lianne Frick/Staff

Lianne Frick / Staff

2 cups of oat flour (or blended oats)
1 tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
½ tsp: Cinnamon, ginger, pumpkin pie spice
1 ½ cup mashed, overripe banana
½ cup pumpkin puree
½ cup honey or pure maple syrup
½ cup apple sauce
2-3 tsp vanilla extract
Optional toppings:
Chocolate chips
Nuts

Steps:

This recipe is great for college students because you don’t need any fancy tools other than an oven. First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. This way, by the time you’re done making your batter, the oven will be ready to go. Also, before you get out your ingredients, lightly grease a loaf pan using oil or butter.

While the oven is warming up, you can begin making your batter. In one mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients including the flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices. In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the liquid ingredients: mashed banana, pumpkin puree, honey, apple sauce and vanilla extract. Next, combine both bowls together and stir until a smooth consistency has formed.

Lianne Frick/Staff

Lianne Frick / Staff

After your batter is ready, evenly pour the mixture into your greased pan. If you want to spice up your loaf, now’s the time. You can add mix-ins, such as chocolate chips, walnuts or pecans.

Lianne Frick/Staff

Lianne Frick / Staff

Now, sit back and enjoy as your house begins to smell like that picturesque bakery seen in all the Hallmark Thanksgiving movies. Your loaf should bake for 30 minutes, but use a toothpick to make sure it’s ready. Now here’s the hard part. Once your pumpkin banana bread is done, you have to let it cool for up to an hour. I know you’ll want to eat it as soon as it’s out of the oven, but you’ve got to wait. If you don’t, your precious bread baby will fall apart or burn the living shit out of your mouth.

Lianne Frick/Staff

Lianne Frick / Staff

Don’t forget, you can refrigerate your leftovers … if there are any.

Happy baking!

Contact Dorsa Moslehi at [email protected].