Berkeley police arrest man in connection with armed home invasion

Daniel Kim/File

Carl Curry, 21, was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of committing armed home invasion robbery in a North Berkeley residence.

Two intruders allegedly entered the North Berkeley residence Monday morning, armed with a knife and a handgun, as first reported by Berkeleyside. Curry was arrested on suspicion of several charges, including home invasion robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, carjacking, vehicle theft, elder abuse likely to cause great bodily harm or death, committing a felony while armed with a firearm and an enhancement due to the victim’s age.

According to Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel, the second intruder is still at large, and the investigation is ongoing.

The occupants of the home, a 77-year-old man and a 47-year-old caretaker, attempted to stop the intruders, and a physical altercation ensued, according to Berkeleyside. The elderly man sustained non-life-threatening cuts to his arms, and the intruders allegedly stole some of the victim’s property and left the scene in the victim’s car, Berkeleyside reported.

“Lock your doors and windows — 50 percent of all of our city’s burglaries occur through an open or unlocked window,” Frankel said, citing crime reports.

Contact Phil Zhang at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @philzhangDC.