Get baked (kale): Simple kale chip recipe

Yukun Zhang/Staff

Bitch don’t kale my vibe. It’s time to get baked (kale).

You’ve probably seen this leafy green everywhere (and we mean literally everywhere). The ultimate trendy vegetable, kale, has been a big player in the world of leafy greens within the past decade. This superfood has become the epitome of what people think of as health, especially because it’s packed with vitamins and is high in fiber. Contrary to popular belief, there are actually more ways to prepare kale than just tossing it in a salad. (We know, shocker). You can also cream it, cook it, blend it in a smoothie and even massage it (yes that’s right, we said “massage it”).

Out of all the possible ways to prepare kale, one of the easiest and most delicious ways is to bake it. Kale chips are the healthy alternative to regular potato chips. You can eat a few more and not feel guilty about it because, after all, it’s a vegetable. There’s a bunch of kale chip recipes out there that include different herbs and spices. We at the Clog, however, believe that some things are better left simple, and this recipe is just that.

Ingredients

1 bunch of curly kale

1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil

1 teaspoon of salt

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425 ℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside for later.
  2. Taking a sharp knife, remove the stem from the leaves and cut the leaves into smaller pieces. Wash and dry the kale thoroughly using a salad spinner or paper towels. It’s important to make sure they’re as dry as possible to ensure optimal crispiness.

Yukun Zhang/Staff

Yukun Zhang/Staff

3. Place the kale onto the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Gently mix the kale until all the leaves are evenly coated. Make sure that the kale is in a single layer across the pan so that they cook evenly.
  4. When the oven is done preheating, pop the pan into the oven and bake the kale for five minutes. After the five minutes, rotate the pan and continue to bake for another five to 10 minutes or until the kale is crispy.

Yukun Zhang/Staff

Yukun Zhang/Staff

5. Remove from the oven and let them cool down on the pan for five minutes.
  6. You’ve got kale (chips). Go ahead and enjoy your simple and healthy snack!

Yukun Zhang/Staff

Yukun Zhang/Staff

Next time you’re reaching for that bag of potato chips, pop some kale into the oven instead for an equally satisfying and healthy treat. They’re so good, they’ll make you say, “Oh, kale yeah!”

Contact Allison Fong at [email protected].