BERKELEY'S NEWS • DECEMBER 09, 2022

Studying for finals? Read our puzzles special instead!

Power outage affects more than 3,000 PG&E customers on south side of Berkeley

OCTOBER 06, 2017

A power outage Friday evening has affected more than 3,000 PG&E customers on Southside, including Downtown Berkeley and parts of the south UC Berkeley campus area.

PG&E spokesperson J.D. Guidi said the power outage began about 6:24 p.m., leaving 3,389 customers without power. Although Guidi said he was unsure what areas in Berkeley were affected, a map on the PG&E website indicates that the outage stretches north to south from University Avenue to Ashby Avenue.

The majority of the customers were in Berkeley — only 12 were in Oakland, and one was in Crockett, according to Guidi. He added, however, that by about 7:15 p.m., the number of affected customers has been reduced to 1,424, all of whom are located in Berkeley.

According to the Berkeley Police Department, officers responded to several fire alarms set off by the power outages. BPD also responded to medical emergencies as a result of the outages.

Guidi said that because the cause of the outage is unknown, PG&E does not yet have a time for when power is expected to be restored.

“At this time, we do have crews in the area working safely and quickly as possible as they investigate the cause of the outage,” Guidi said. “Once that cause is determined, then we know what work we have to perform (to restore power).”

Check back for updates.

Contact Ashley Wong and Chantelle Lee at [email protected].

OCTOBER 06, 2017