No yolking matter: Different ways to eat your eggs

Vivian Roan/Staff

For many of us, college life is all about living on a budget. Naturally, we must also eat so we can live. Eating on a budget most likely means consuming lots of eggs, which are pretty cheap and fairly nutritious sources of protein (cholesterol aside). However, eating eggs the same way everyday can definitely get boring, so without further ado, here are some new ways to prepare your eggs.

Poached

This type of egg is best eaten on a toasted English muffin with a slice of smoked salmon and some hollandaise sauce. In a pinch (since sometimes our budget just can’t cover the hefty price of smoked salmon and real hollandaise sauce), some bacon or deli ham slices will suffice. For the sauce, you can either Google how to make it yourself, or simply use something like mayonnaise (though it definitely won’t taste the same).

Here’s a pro tip for poaching eggs: right before you crack the egg into the lightly boiling water, use any utensil to gently swirl the water to make a small whirlpool in the pot. This will help make your poached egg look prettier and less like a scattered mess.

Omelet

For an omelet, simply crack a few eggs into a bowl, add some milk and seasoning and thoroughly stir up the mixture. Then, pour the egg mixture into a lightly oiled pan on medium-high heat, and add any toppings you’d like, such as cheese, tomatoes, onions, peppers, spinach, mushrooms and ham. Then, flip half of the egg mixture to make a half-circle, and remove the omelet from the pan when it’s cooked to your liking. What’s great about omelets is that you can constantly change up the omelet fillings, so that you’ll never really get tired of a single omelet.

A simplified banana pancake

For those who love pancakes, this healthy, nutritious idea is the perfect breakfast for you. Simply mash up an egg and a banana in a bowl until they’re thoroughly homogenized. Next, lightly grease a pan and set it to medium-high heat. Pour the banana and egg batter into the pan, cook for about two to three minutes on each side and remove when the pancake’s golden-brown on both sides! Hint: Use a mixer to whip up the batter before cooking for fluffier pancakes.

Soft-boiled with toast sticks

Simply boil an egg for seven to eight minutes to achieve the perfect soft-boiled egg. The egg white should be fully cooked and tender, while the yolk should have a delicious, custard-like consistency. Next, toast a few slices of your favorite bread. Cut the toasted bread up lengthwise into sticks, and dip these into the custardy egg yolk of your soft-boiled egg.

Egg noodles

To make these unique noodles, crack a few eggs into a bowl and mix them up thoroughly. Next, grease a pan and set it to medium-high heat. Once the pan has been heated, pour a thin layer of the egg mixture onto the pan. Cook for about 30 seconds and flip the egg layer to cook the top side. Once the egg is fully cooked, remove it from the pan and roll up the thin egg pancake. Cut the egg into thin noodles, and you’ve got your high protein egg noodles. You can eat these without any extra ingredients, or get creative and add soy sauce and some vegetables to make some stir fried noodles.

Hopefully, these ideas will help you snap out of that egg boredom and aid you on a budget-friendly college eating journey.

Contact Judy Shan at [email protected].