BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

A day at San Francisco's Renegade Craft Fair

DOUG SMITH | STAFF

NOVEMBER 20, 2017

Being in the Berkeley bubble, we sometimes forget that San Francisco, one of the most exciting places in the country, is just a 20-minute BART ride away from us. Because midterms have passed and I have more bearings over the area in my first semester, I’ve made an effort to find something to do outside of Berkeley once per weekend. Last weekend’s activity? The seasonally held Renegade Craft Fair in the Marina district.

Doug Smith/Staff
Doug Smith/Staff

Luckily I convinced a friend to ditch his essay-writing plans, using the term “just for a little bit” which ended up being most of the day. Once you get off at Montgomery, you’ll need to take the 30 bus until the end of the line in order to reach the area, at which point feel free to just stroll towards the water. Taking a walk along the bay offers some great views and is surprisingly calm, almost making you forget that you’re in San Francisco for a bit.

The calm didn’t last long once we got to the Fort Mason Center warehouses, where tons of lively and hip San Franciscans gathered to check out the various clothing, art and food vendors. Even if you don’t actually get anything, being exposed to creative local businesses that you probably weren’t aware of before is an experience in itself. I made it count by getting one shirt, business cards from every remotely appealing business and free samples from every food vendor.

Doug Smith/Staff
Doug Smith/Staff

The market makes up one warehouse, while the one next door is filled to brim with various works of arts, ranging from paintings, photography, sculptures and more interactive works. Not to mention that some of the actual artists responsible for the pieces will be there, so any burning questions can be answered on the spot. After checking out both warehouses, you’ll probably be exhausted and hungry, at which point the move would be to stop by one of the several food trucks outside of the venue, and then head up the large hill to lay down in the grassy area above.

Life at UC Berkeley is work, no doubt, but it shouldn’t always feel that way. Take advantage of your weekends and sunny days to go out and do something — your homework will still be there when you get back.

Contact Doug Smith at 

NOVEMBER 20, 2017