BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 03, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

ASUC holds final meeting lasting 8 minutes, addresses Cal Lodge

XIAOYE YAN | STAFF

DECEMBER 07, 2017

The ASUC Senate held an additional meeting Wednesday night to address last week’s unresolved businesses, including passing a resolution to list Cal Lodge for sale.

In the meeting, which lasted about eight minutes, the ASUC voted to amend a bill about Cal Lodge, a campus property located in Norden, California. After the bill went unresolved last week, the senators changed the status of the lodge from being for sale to being listed and added certain appendices for better clarity, according to Senator Nuha Khalfay.

The office of the Executive Vice President and the office of the Chief Financial Officer have been working toward the decision for a few semesters, Khalfay said in an email. She added that President Zaynab AbdulQadir-Morris, Executive Vice President Helen Yuan and Chief Financial Officer-elect Sofie Yang will jointly make the decision when selling the house, which they hope will happen next semester.

“Changing (from) selling to listing gives us room for consideration when selling the house to potential buyers for the best deal,” Khalfay said.

In public comment, CALPIRG board member Maxwell Bessard gave an update on the organization’s work this semester. Among other projects, the organization met with Chancellor Carol Christ earlier this semester to discuss getting UC Berkeley 100 percent “electricity-renewable” by 2045.

CALPIRG also campaigned to protect federal financial aid this semester, meeting with the office of U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, D-CA, and raised $500 for a local food pantry and workers, according to Bessard.

ASUC senator Hani Hussein, the chair of the ASUC’s diversity commission, gave an update on the status of the commission, which aims to increase diversity within the ASUC. She reported that she was working on staffing for the commission, which is currently staffed by only two people.

The new business items from the previous meeting had been carried over to Wednesday’s meeting to ensure that everything would be passed this semester, according to Khalfay. Everything on the agenda for immediate consideration was approved, including nominations for the Mental Health Commission chair, Sexual Violence Commission chair, the Winter Inter-Semester Committee and the ASUC Student Union Board Representative.

Contact Mary Kelly Ford at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @MaryKellyFord1.

DECEMBER 08, 2017