Shake it up with some Shakshouka this semester

Chelsea Song/Staff

Cooking in college shouldn’t always be about efficiency. Sometimes, the best-tasting foods take a little more time and a little more love to make. This recipe is an impressive dish you can make for your family, your housemates or your friends. The dish is savory and tomato-based, which means it’s perfect to eat with carbs like toasted bread, though it’s usually served with pita or challah bread. For those who love runny yolk, you may want to start up your stove immediately. We may not be used to putting such care into our foods, but we at the Daily Cal strongly urge you to try to shake it up with some Shakshouka.

Recipe: Shakshouka

Total time: 30 minutes | Yields: 6 servings

Ingredients

2½-3 tablespoons olive oil

1 diced white onion

1 diced bell pepper (red, orange or yellow, though typically made with red)

3 cloves minced garlic

1½ teaspoon cumin

1½ teaspoon paprika

28-ounce can whole peeled plum tomatoes

5-6 ounces feta cheese (crumbled)

Salt and pepper to taste

4-6 eggs

Chopped cilantro to garnish

Directions

This recipe is best prepared in a cast iron skillet, as you’ll be sticking the skillet in the oven. Many nonstick pans can’t go safely into the oven like a cast iron skillet can. Please don’t attempt this recipe without a proper pan. Cast iron skillets are available at Target and many supermarkets for just under $20.

With that being said, start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, set your stove on medium-low heat and add the olive oil to the skillet. Wait for the oil to heat, then add the diced onion and bell pepper. This is where your patience and love come in. Cook the onion and bell pepper until they’re very soft. Be careful not to burn your veggies. They should slightly brown, but shouldn’t be crispy. If you see them getting burnt, turn down the intensity of your fire. It should take about 20 minutes.

Add your minced garlic and stir until soft. Then add the cumin and paprika and stir your veggies for about another minute.

Open your can of plum tomatoes and add them to your skillet. There’s no need to cut the tomatoes beforehand. Simply add the entire can, including the juice, into the pan and use your spatula to roughly cut your tomatoes into fourths or sixths. Stir the mixture until the tomatoes get thick. This should take about 10 minutes.

After your tomatoes are ready, add your salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the crumbled feta cheese. Finally, crack four to six eggs into the skillet. Remember to put oven mitts on and place your skillet in the oven.

Let it sizzle for about 10 to 12 minutes while the eggs cook to your liking. You can toast sliced rustic or ciabatta bread the same time you cook your Shakshouka.

Remove your skillet and bread and top your Shakshouka with as much or as little cilantro as you’d like.

shakshuka_chelsea-song_staff

All your hard work will have paid off when you take that first bite of warm and savory goodness.

Chelsea Song is the assistant blog editor. Contact Chelsea Song at [email protected].