Goals every student should have for the new semester

Willow Yang/File

Goals? Yep, we said it (we didn’t want to, but we did). It’s the post-New Year’s Eve word flying out of every middle-aged adult and lifestyle influencer’s overrated mouth. Goals are BS, and we at the Clog are aware of this fact. But if you think about it, without goals, we’re simply a bunch of multicellular organisms floating around Earth without a purpose or direction. We must have some semi-attainable aims in mind, right? Plus, as students, we’re always wanting to improve ourselves — well, at least our grades. So to better yourself (and your GPA), here are some Clog-approved, actually achievable goals that every UC Berkeley student should have for the new semester.

Start your assignments at an earlier date

Relax, relax! All we’re saying is to merely start your assignments earlier, not totally complete them several weeks before they’re due. By simply putting in a little work on an assignment some time before it’s due, you’ll at least be glad you’ve done a little something as you’re (hopefully not) scrambling to finish the night before.

Join a new club or campus organization

We know it sounds cheesy, but college is probably the best time of your life to explore both your current and potential new interests. Although it might sound like an advertisement for every club at UC Berkeley, there are more than 1,200 organizations on campus, meaning there’s bound to be something that you’ll enjoy. Plus, it’s a great way to meet new people and forget about schoolwork for a little.

Explore more of Berkeley and the surrounding Bay Area

As college students,  we oftentimes stick fiercely to the things we’re used to (e.g. going to Moffitt every time we have a midterm, going out to the same place for dinner on the weekends). But, as they say, “Y.O.G.T.C.O.” (You Only Go To College Once). Embrace all of the diverse places and spaces around you, and take a break from your schoolwork to visit them. If you can’t bear to part with your textbooks, bring them along with you.

Go to office hours

As we typed this, we too screamed “NOOOOO” internally, just as you’re probably doing right now. Your parents tell you to do this, your GSIs tell you to do this, and your professors themselves tell you to do this — so you should probably just suck it up and do it. Make it a priority to at least stop by once and introduce yourself to your GSIs and professors this semester. You might even be convinced to go again.

Try something new

College life can easily become a repetitive and mundane routine, so why not try something new to shake it up a little bit? Whether it be visiting a restaurant or coffee shop you’ve never been to, trying out a new workout class or binging something totally different from what you’d normally watch on Netflix, make it a habit to not get so into a habit.

Make time for yourself 

We UC Berkeley students are a pretty career-oriented, graduate school-oriented and overall future-oriented group of people. And oftentimes it’s all too easy for us to get so caught up in our GPAs and LinkedIn profiles that we forget to take care of our very own well-being. Yes, we’re all trying to get into a top grad school or secure that coveted internship or job, but we don’t want to be perpetually stressed while doing so. So don’t forget to take a step back, shut your laptop and books and get a good night’s sleep every once in a while.

Try your best (and remember that doing so is enough)

Following the same train of thought, a lot of us strive for perfection, but such a state simply doesn’t exist. We know this concept is so stupidly cheesy that even a Berkeley squirrel knows damn well to try its best when it walks up to you and begs for a scrap of your Dorito crumbs, but it’s usually overlooked and forgotten. So we are here to remind you to keep this in mind for this new semester: Always strive to try your best at whatever you do, whether it’s an exam, paper, homework assignment or job interview, and no matter what the outcome is, remember that trying your best was enough. Seriously, don’t forget it.

We at the Clog wish you the best of luck this semester and beyond. No matter how overrated and full of BS your goals may seem, don’t forget that you can achieve them!

Chloe Lelchuk is the assistant blog editor. Contact Chloe Lelchuk at [email protected].