Picks of the Week: Poetry, film screenings and unique musical events

Picks of the Week
Fandango Movie Clips/Courtesy

Do you “fear the future”? Well, for the next week, the arts and entertainment department has you covered with the most engaging and exciting events in the Bay. Beginning with St. Vincent’s concert Monday and peppered with film screenings, poetry readings and a night dedicated to Selena, there’s a myriad of options to keep your future bright.

Monday, Jan. 22 | St. Vincent “Fear the Future” tour at Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco

St. Vincent, also known as Annie Clark, announced her “Fear the Future” tour — titled after the ninth track on her latest album, Masseduction — this summer. Clark’s artistic approach has always been a compelling blend of pop art iconography and avant-garde tendencies, and her “Fear the Future” tour will surely be no exception. On Monday night, she’ll be making a stop at Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, near the Civic Center BART station in San Francisco. Doors will open at 7 p.m., and the show will begin at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $45.50 and can be purchased online in advance here.

Tuesday, Jan. 23 | “I Am Not Your Negro” screening at Bayview Opera House, San Francisco

Raoul Peck’s portrait of James Baldwin has consistently sold out Bay Area theaters since it premiered in February 2017. The film features interviews with Baldwin as well as narration from Baldwin’s journals read by none other than Samuel L. Jackson (of “Pulp Fiction” fame). This particular screening is at Bayview Opera House, on the corner of Third Street and Newcomb Avenue in San Francisco. The screening will begin at 6 p.m., but attendees should arrive before 6 p.m. in order to guarantee their seats. You can register for admission to the screening here.

Thursday, Jan. 25 | Poetry reading by Linda Gregerson at 300 Wheeler Hall

Linda Gregerson, a visiting English and creative writing professor from the University of Michigan and the chancellor of the Academy of American Poets, will be reading a variety of her poems. The reading is but one event in the Berkeley Seminars in Art and Religion series, which will also include Gregerson’s lecture on “Paradise Lost” — “Milton and the Syntax of Faith.” With either event, Gregerson’s participation in this series looks to be a fascinating exploration of literature, and if nothing else, you’ll get the chance to sound super pretentious among your friends.

Friday, Jan. 26 | Club 90s Selena Night at The New Parish, Oakland

The New Parish is hosting a night entirely dedicated to Selena, organized by Club 90s, a Los Angeles organization dedicated to bringing 1990s tunes and culture back into our grungy lives. Selena and her tunes are loved all over the world and were particularly popular in the 1990s, when she was celebrated at the Billboard Latin Music Awards, the Tejano Music Awards and the Grammys. Tickets are $10 when purchased in advance and will be $15 at the door. The event is 18-plus, so attendees should bring ID, and anyone under 21 must additionally purchase a $5 drink ticket at the door. The event begins at 9 p.m.

Saturday, Jan. 27 | “Howard the Duck” in 70 mm at Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, San Francisco

Everyone knows that 70 mm screenings are reserved for true cinematic masterpieces — that’s why Alamo Drafthouse is bringing “Howard the Duck” to its screen. Based on a Marvel comic book of the same name, the film is the strange brainchild of director Willard Huyck (of “American Graffiti” and “Messiah of Evil” fame) and Lucasfilm Ltd. That’s right, the creator of “Star Wars” also brought an anthropomorphized (and slightly frightening) duck to cinematic life. Rare is the chance to see such a cult classic in a space as grand and appropriate as the Alamo Drafthouse. Tickets are $15.75 and can be purchased on Alamo Drafthouse’s website.

Contact The Daily Californian’s arts & entertainment staff at [email protected].