Things with shorter wait times than the wait for the new ‘Harry Potter’ game

Caragh McErlean/File

It’s hard for a Potterhead to remember a time when they weren’t waiting for their Hogwarts letter. Our 11th years have passed with disappointment, as no owl ever came to let us know we’d been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Even now, as college students, there’s still probably a little part of us hoping that we’ll magically walk into a wall and end up on Platform 9 3/4. But of course, there’s the other part of us that has always known that it’s not real. So, clearly the next best thing would be an interactive video game in which we could create a character who looks like us and control them on their journey through Hogwarts. But alas, that video game didn’t exist when we were younger. However, last week it was announced that an official app called “Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery” will come out later this year! It’s everything Potterheads have always wanted; you get to create a character and experience life at Hogwarts.

But, as exciting as this is, it’s almost too late for the series’s main demographic of college-age students and up. We’ve all been waiting for years since we first read the series for something like this, and honestly, they could’ve made this game a long time ago. You know, back when we had the time to play it. So, to commemorate years of waiting for a game like this, we here at the Clog have compiled a list of things with shorter wait times than the wait for an interactive “Harry Potter” game.

Sirius Black waiting in Azkaban

“I’ve done my waiting! Twelve years of it! In Azkaban!”

We’re all familiar with these iconic words from everyone’s favorite godfather, Sirius Black. The first “Harry Potter” book actually came out in 1997, so some fans have actually been waiting 21 years for a game like “Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery”! That’s a lot longer than 12 years. Sorry, Sirius, even though you were wrongfully imprisoned and kept apart from your friends and godson, you didn’t wait quite as long as some fans.

The wait at the DMV

For all you “Zootopia” fans out there, you’ll know that the sloth worker at the DMV is literally every single actual DMV employee. Bureaucratic red tape is painful, boring and the last thing anyone ever wants to do. But, to avoid a wait, you could always make an appointment or just never get a driver’s license. It’s not like you could make an appointment to skip the wait to go to Hogwarts, right? Our apologies, dearest DMV, but you’ve been dethroned as the Queen of Long Waits.

Waiting for a text back

There’s really nothing worse than waiting for a text back from that super cute kid you’re desperate to get to know or that friend you’re trying to make plans with. Every minute they’re not responding is a painful punch to your fragile ego and makes you question whether anyone actually likes you. But believe it or not, we waited far longer for an interactive “Harry Potter” game than we’ve ever waited for someone who’s “just not that into you” to respond to a text. They’re probably not worth it anyway (but this game is). 

The line outside of Crossroads during the first few weeks of school

Of course, lines to get food in the Great Hall at Hogwarts couldn’t compare to the line outside Crossroads during the freshman rush hour, but how long have we waited to see the Great Hall, virtually, for ourselves? A lot longer than we’ve waited for an omelet at 1 p.m. on a Sunday, that’s for sure.  

Getting off a waitlist

Okay, this wait is actually pretty long and gets pretty close to the wait for a “Harry Potter” game. And the worst part is, you might not ever get off the waitlist! But has anyone been on a waitlist for more than a year? No! We just enroll in another class and move on, because that’s the way the cookie crumbles here at UC Berkeley. Waitlists might actually count in real life, but “Harry Potter” is pretty important too.

Despite the annoyingly long wait for this app, you know that we’ll be dedicating a good amount of time to this game once it comes out. And hey, once it does, you can play it to pass the time whenever you’re waiting for something on this list! So get ready, Potterheads, because we’ll have our game faster than you can say, “Accio!”

Contact Sunny Sichi at [email protected].