BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 30, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Cal women's gymnastics excels in floor, beating No. 19 Arizona in season-high performance

JOSHUA JORDAN | SENIOR STAFF

FEBRUARY 04, 2018

A day after the Cal men’s basketball team finally broke its nine-game losing streak, Haas Pavilion was buzzing once again as the Cal women’s gymnastics team ended a skid of its own on Sunday.

The Bears shook off a string of three straight losses to notch their first one-on-one victory of the season, defeating No. 19 Arizona by putting up a season-high 195.950 in their home opener.

The Bears especially shined in the floor event, totaling a score of 49.400 for the fourth-best mark in school history.

Since it put up a total of 48.725 points in the floor against then-No. 21 Brigham Young — its lowest total in the event this season — Cal’s core has gradually improved as a collective.

Of the six Bears who participated in the floor, juniors Chelsea Shu and Sylvie Seilnacht had the lowest marks in the floor — both posted a score of 9.825. Their scores, however, equaled those of Arizona freshman Adra Parks and junior Lauryn Mattson, who had the highest scores of their team in the floor.

Senior sensation Toni-Ann Williams was the only Cal athlete who competed and did not record a career high or season high in the event, but the star’s total of 9.950 ultimately won the event.

Freshman all-arounder Kyana George posted a career high in the floor with a mark of 9.900.

Justice delos Santos is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jdelossantos510

FEBRUARY 04, 2018