BERKELEY'S NEWS • JANUARY 31, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Collision between AC Transit bus and car kills 1, damages 2 houses

ABC7 | COURTESY

FEBRUARY 08, 2018

Updated 2/8/2018 with more information from AC Transit spokesperson Clarence Johnson, an AC Transit press release and a Nixle alert.

A woman died in a collision when her compact sedan collided with an AC Transit bus at the intersection of Ashby Avenue and Sacramento Street early Thursday morning.

The woman was identified as Kelli Zachery, a 27-year-old Berkeley resident, according to an article first published by the East Bay Times. The article added that Zachery was driving to work when the collision occurred, and that Zachery’s father, Kelvin Zachery, is also an AC Transit driver and has been for 26 years.

The bus, traveling west on Ashby Avenue, struck the driver’s side of the sedan, which was traveling south, perpendicular to the bus, on Sacramento Street. Kelli Zachery was pronounced dead on the scene, according to Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel.   

The two vehicles careened into a parked car and two homes, damaging both houses. Police received notice of the event at 6:38 a.m., Frankel said.  

Bus routes 80 and 81 had detours during the time that the road was closed, but they have both returned to their regular routes, according to AC Transit spokesperson Clarence Johnson.

Ashby Avenue was closed during the investigation between Sacramento Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Way. Ashby Avenue is open as of about 3 p.m., according to a Nixle alert from BPD.

The driver of the bus will undergo a routine drug and alcohol check, according to Johnson. He added, however, that there is no suspicion of the driver being under the influence.

Along with the routine drug and alcohol check, the driver is also being provided therapeutic services, Johnson said.

About 2:30 p.m., a statement was released from AC Transit Media Affairs Manager Robert Lyles, who affirmed that the bus driver is cooperating with the ongoing BPD investigation.  The names of individuals involved in the investigation are not allowed to be released by AC Transit in accordance with HIPAA privacy regulations, according to the press release.

Contact The Daily Californian news staff at [email protected].

FEBRUARY 08, 2018