5 men arrested in Berkeley in connection to sexual assault of multiple juvenile girls

Daniel Kim/File

Updated 03/21/2018: This article has been updated to include more information from BPD spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel.

Berkeley Police Department detained and later arrested five men in connection to the sexual assault of five minors early Monday morning, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

BPD responded to a call on the 1800 block of Shattuck Avenue and Hearst Avenue reporting the sexual assault of the five juveniles, all of whom are female, about 1:30 a.m. Monday, according to BPD spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel.

The officers who responded spoke with the five girls, including the girl who reported the incident, and detained the five men found inside the apartment where the sexual assaults allegedly took place, Frankel said in an email.

After the arrests, BPD found that five men, ages 19 to 25, met with the five girls, ages 14 to 16, in a Shattuck Avenue apartment Sunday. Marijuana and alcohol “were involved,” according to Frankel.

“Numerous officers immediately responded to the apartment and contacted all ten involved parties,” Frankel said in the email. “The five males were all arrested for numerous charges, all five girls were safely removed from the apartment and a firearm was recovered.”

He added that one of the suspects threatened the girls with a pistol and took some of the girls’ cellphones. The girls reported that they were not able to leave the apartment and that they were victims of sexual assault.

One of the girls, who was told to leave the apartment about 1:30 a.m. Monday, reported that she left with another girl and used a pedestrian’s phone to report the incident to BPD.

The five men were arrested and identified as Mather resident Drevon Clemon, 23, Oakland resident Marquis Joyce, 25, Berkeley resident Maureece Simpkins, 19, Oakland resident and security guard Jakari Williams-Compton, 20, and Berkeley resident Chad Williams, 20, according to Frankel.

All five of the men were charged as felons. Clemon was arrested on suspicion of assault to commit rape, sexually penetrating a child under the age of 14, intimately touching an individual who is unlawfully restrained, harming a child and receiving property that had been stolen in the past.

Joyce has been arrested on suspicion of committing lewd or lascivious acts on a child under the age of 14, assault to commit rape, unlawfully possessing a firearm as a felon, harming a child, threatening to commit a crime that would result in death or great bodily injury, receiving property that has been stolen in the past, false imprisonment and intimately touching an individual who is unlawfully restrained.

Simpkins has been arrested on suspicion of two counts of rape, receiving property that has been stolen in the past, committing lewd or lascivious acts on a child under the age of 14 and violating the terms of his probation.

Williams-Compton was arrested on suspicion of committing lewd or lascivious acts on a child under the age of 14.

Williams has been arrested on suspicion of two counts of committing lewd or lascivious acts on a child under the age of 14 and intimately touching an individual who is unlawfully restrained.

Frankel added that no more information was being released at the time, as the investigation is still ongoing.

Check back for updates.

Sakura Cannestra is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SakuCannestra.