BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Berkeley police detain woman for allegedly damaging cars with windshield wiper

DANIEL KIM | FILE

APRIL 02, 2018

After receiving several reports of a woman damaging cars with a windshield wiper, Berkeley Police Department detained Berkeley resident Dawn Carraway, 28, on Saturday on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, vandalism of a motor vehicle and a probation violation.      

BPD first received a report Saturday afternoon of a woman screaming inside external bathrooms of City Hall, according to BPD spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel. When patrol officers arrived on the scene, multiple witnesses said the “screaming woman” was seen walking eastbound on Allston Way toward Shattuck Avenue.  

A few minutes later, BPD received multiple calls reporting that a woman with the same description had damaged multiple cars and attacked people with a windshield wiper, according to Frankel. After further investigation, BPD officers found Carraway and detained her.

“Officers at the scene located a victim who reported that Carraway had physically assaulted with a windshield wiper,” Frankel said in an email. “Carraway was taken to a local medical facility for evaluation.”

Contact Malini Ramaiyer at 

APRIL 03, 2018