2 UC Berkeley students robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight, 3 suspects arrested

Daniel Kim/File

Two UC Berkeley students were robbed at gunpoint about noon Tuesday, and three individuals have been arrested in connection to the crime, according to a Wednesday morning Nixle alert from the Berkeley Police Department.

The two students were approached by two men while walking into an apartment building on the 2600 block of Regent Street, the alert said. One of the two men took out a handgun and demanded the students’ property, according to the alert, and later fled southbound on Regent Street.

No one was injured in the robbery, according to BPD spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel. He also said the event was reported shortly after 12:32 p.m., when it occurred. 

BPD officers responded, searched the area and found three men — Berkeley resident Enkhibilig Tingis, 20, San Francisco resident Purev Narmandakh, 21, and Martinez resident Purevochir Munkhtur, 21 — who matched the descriptions of the suspects given by the two students, according to the alert. One of the men was found with a semi-automatic handgun with an extended magazine and one of the victim’s stolen property.

The men were arrested and booked into the Berkeley City Jail on suspicion of home invasion robbery, conspiracy, possession of stolen property and “several firearms related charges,” according to the alert.

Sakura Cannestra is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SakuCannestra.