In March, the California College Media Association awarded The Daily Californian 20 awards in its annual California-wide media competition.
The Daily Cal took home eight first-place prizes, three second-place prizes, six third-place prizes and three honorable mentions. Last year, The Daily Californian won 23 awards.
The California College Media Association presents California newspapers with awards marking the best journalism across many categories. The Daily Cal participated in the category honoring student papers that serve campus communities of more than 10,000 people.
Below is a full list of awards that The Daily Cal won.
- 1st place in best advertising campaign: “Hello World” by Crystal Zhong, Corey Hu and Trevor Greenan
- 3rd place in best online advertisement: “The Graduate” by Willow Yang and Trevor Greenan
- Honorable mention in best advertising section: Fall 2017 Media Kit by Crystal Zhong and Trevor Greenan
- 1st place in best magazine design: Weekender Special Issue by Emily Montenegro
- 1st place in best magazine story: “Trailing blazes back: Revisiting the 1923 Berkeley Fire” by Anna Ho
- 3rd place in best magazine column: “Coming home (again) to Wheeler Hall” by Ericka Shin
- 1st place in best infographic: “Campus releases fiscal year 2018 budget” by Dani Sundell
- 2nd place in best front page design: March 2, 2017 by Emily Montenegro
- 3rd place in best illustration: “Black Girl Magic” by Nishali Naik
- 3rd place in best news photo: “Protest” by Mikaela Raphael
- Honorable mention for headline portfolio by Daily Cal Night Staff
- 1st place in best feature story: “Echoes down the corridor” by Malini Ramaiyer
- 2nd place in best non-breaking news story: “Young America’s Foundation: Who is funding UC Berkeley’s Ben Shapiro event?” by Ashley Wong
- 3rd place in best column: “Free the nipple” by Mia Villanueva
- 3rd place in best editorial: “On Urban Shield, Berkeley must make a decision, and it needs to make the right one” by Suhauna Hussain
- Honorable mention in best arts story: “Let the good times roll: Rolling Loud Festival comes to Shoreline Amphitheatre” by Adesh Thapliyal, Lloyd Lee and Hansol Jung
- 1st place in best non-news video: “Life in Color: Holi 2017” by Dapree Doyle, Ashley Grace-Vo, Nate Mahowald and Stephanie Lopez
- 1st place in best news video: “Milo Yiannopoulos event sparks violent protest at UC Berkeley” by Dapree Doyle and Sid Iyer
- 1st place in best interactive graphic: “The rise of the campus meme” by Ella Jensen and Sahil Chinoy
- 1st place in best social media coverage: “Free Speech Week” coverage by Maya Eliahou and team
- 2nd place in best multimedia presentation: “Industry-funded research takes on a larger role on a cash-strapped campus” by Vanessa Qian and Austin Weinstein