Man arrested after assaulting officer with wooden stick

Daniel Kim/File

Updated 4/25/2018: This article has been updated with information from BPD spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel.

A man was arrested Tuesday afternoon for threatening a person with a wooden stick and then attacking a Berkeley Police Department officer with said stick, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

The man has been identified as Berkeley resident Robert Russell, 69, according to BPD spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel. Frankel said in an email that an officer was driving near the 2200 block of Shattuck Avenue and saw Russell brandishing the stick at another man.

Frankel said in an email that the officer stopped, approached Russell and told him to put the stick down, but he began to walk away and ignored the officer. The officer followed and attempted to detain Russell by grabbing his wrist, but then Russell “jabbed the officer in the stomach” with the stick, according to Frankel.

More BPD officers responded and, after a brief struggle, they restrained Russell. He was arrested on suspicion of brandishing a deadly weapon, assault with a deadly weapon and resisting arrest.

There was no serious injury to the officer, Frankel said in the email, though Russell was transported to a local hospital with minor injuries.

Sakura Cannestra is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SakuCannestra.