BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

The Daily Californian releases spring 2018 hiring demographics

SHAUN LIEN | STAFF

APRIL 25, 2018

As part of The Daily Californian’s ongoing efforts to address the diversity of its staff and coverage, we feel it is important that our community know who we are. So this semester, we are publicizing the demographic data of our most recent class of new hires.

The Daily Cal remains committed to solving diversity issues in the newsroom. In the past year alone, we have implemented a number of changes to create an open office environment and broaden our coverage. These changes include the establishment of an internal diversity committee that meets weekly and the launch of Cal in Color, a weekly opinion column dedicated to exploring the experiences of people of color in Berkeley.

Moving forward, we want to expand these efforts to our hiring process — and a big part of that is being transparent about our numbers. This spring semester, 48.1 percent of the applicants we accepted identified as Asian, and 25.9 percent identified as white.

Meanwhile, 14.8 percent identified with two or more races, 6.2 percent identified as Hispanic or Latinx, and 0.6 percent identified as Black. None of our accepted applicants identified as Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander.

Comparing these numbers to the UC Berkeley demographic data for fall 2017, it’s clear that there is still work to be done. And that will be a staffwide priority at the Daily Cal throughout the summer as well as the fall semester.

Contact Harini Shyamsundar at  or on Twitter

APRIL 25, 2018