BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Berkeley police arrest Richmond resident on suspicion of vehicle burglary

DANIEL KIM | FILE

JUNE 26, 2018

Berkeley Police Department officers arrested Richmond resident Joel James Santos, 30, on suspicion of burglarizing a Berkeley resident’s vehicle, according to a BPD alert sent Tuesday.

According to the alert, the Berkeley resident had his wallet stolen out of his parked vehicle Saturday between 10:15 a.m. and 4 p.m. The vehicle was parked on San Pablo Avenue near the Virginia Street intersection — a few hours after the victim returned to his car, he realized his wallet was gone, and he called BPD.

The victim was also made aware of several fraudulent charges on his credit card, one of which was at a local motel, where BPD officers went and inquired about the charges. The alert said the officers discovered a room that was rented in the victim’s name and, finding the room empty, waited for Santos to return.

Upon his return, the officers arrested Santos, and he admitted to burglarizing the victim’s vehicle, according to the alert. The alert also stated that officers found the victim’s wallet in the room after a search. 

Sakura Cannestra is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SakuCannestra.

JUNE 26, 2018