BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Gov. Jerry Brown appoints 4 new members to UC Board of Regents

AMANDA HART | FILE

AUGUST 06, 2018

Gov. Jerry Brown announced the appointment of four new members to the UC Board of Regents in a press release Monday.

The new appointees are Laphonza Butler, Michael Cohen, Cecilia V. Estolano and Richard H. Leib. All four appointees will need to be confirmed by the California Senate and will receive no compensation for their positions, according to the press release. Three of the four are Democrats — Cohen registered without party preference.

Butler, 39, has been president of the United Long Term Care Workers union — part of the Service Employees International Union, or SEIU — since 2010, and was a national division director for SEIU in Washington, D.C., from 2006 to 2009, according to the press release.

Cohen, 45, has served as director of the California Department of Finance since 2013, as stated in the press release. Additionally, he worked in the California Legislative Analyst’s Office for 13 years in roles including deputy legislative analyst, director of state administration and local government finance analyst. Cohen holds a master’s degree in public administration.

Estolano, 52, is a co-founder and CEO of Estolano LeSar Advisors, an urban planning and public policy consulting firm. According to the press release, Estolano was a senior policy adviser at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for two years and earned graduate degrees from UC Berkeley and UCLA.

Additionally, Estolano was CEO of the Community Redevelopment Agency of Los Angeles from 2006 to 2009. She later went on to serve as chief strategist for state and local initiatives at Green for All, a company focused on building a green economy and alleviating poverty, from 2009 to 2011.

Leib, 61, is a member of the Solana Beach School District Board of Education and the CEO of Dunleer Strategies, a nonhazardous liquid waste recycling company. The press release said Leib was the executive vice president and general counsel at U.S. Public Technologies from 1994 to 1999, later working as vice president at Lockheed Martin from 1999 to 2001. Leib holds both a law degree and a master’s degree in public policy.

Contact Revati Thatte at  or on Twitter

AUGUST 06, 2018