BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Cupcakin’ Bake Shop to open new locations in Berkeley, Oakland

KETKI SAMEL | STAFF

AUGUST 16, 2018

The popular bakery Cupcakin’ Bake Shop is launching a new location in Berkeley, and another in Oakland, later this year.

Cupcakin’ Bake Shop is set to open its Oakland location in October, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, and will open another shop on Shattuck Avenue later in the fall. Meanwhile, the shop located on Durant Avenue will make its move to Telegraph Avenue and is set to open Sept. 14, according to Cupcakin’ Bake Shop owner Lila Owens.

“I grew up hanging around that Telegraph area,” Owens said. “It’s a fun, liberal, lighthearted area, and there were a lot of students there, students who gravitated toward cupcakes. There wasn’t a cupcake shop in the area, so I thought it was a good place to start.”

Owens said she started her cupcake business in 2010 at her home kitchen, catering for her friends and family. Three years later, she opened her first shop on Durant Avenue, which quickly became popular among UC Berkeley students and the broader community, Owens said.

Owens previously told The Daily Californian that the ingredients for her cupcakes are purchased from local shops, which, combined with the shop’s baking process, gives the cupcakes “a very artisan style.”

“I think (our bakery) has a soul-warming feel, but it’s also kind of lighthearted,” Owens said. “We emphasize not only having good presentation but also having really good quality.”

Owens hopes the new Telegraph location is “more central” and has more space than the current Durant location. After the Telegraph location opens, Owens plans to launch the Shattuck location in late fall. The new shop will take the place of 65-year-old Virginia Bakery, which announced in April that it would be closing.

“It’s a tough decision but a good time to make it with us turning 65,” John Erdmann, whose parents bought Virginia Bakery in 1953, previously told The Daily Californian of the bakery’s closure. “The customers have been wonderful. … Everybody is saying goodbye in their way.”

Although Virginia Bakery has closed, Owens said the Erdmanns have entrusted a few recipes to Cupcakin’ Bake Shop.

“We actually haven’t decided which recipes we’re going to implement, but they’ve been gracious to share some of the more popular ones,” Owens said.

Ray Shaun, a supervisor at 85C Bakery Cafe, which is situated near Cupcakin’ Bake Shop’s future Shattuck location, is not quite sure how the new bakery will affect 85C’s business, but said they would “get along just fine.”

Although there are other bakeries nearby, including 85C Bakery Cafe and Sheng Kee Bakery, Owens said her shop brings something unique to its customers.

“We have our own little personality as a bakery,” she said.

Clarifications: A previous version of this article may have implied that Cupcakin' Bake Shop is opening two new locations in Berkeley. In fact, Cupcakin' Bake Shop is opening one new location on Shattuck Avenue, and moving its current flagship location from Durant Avenue to Telegraph Avenue.
Corrections: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Virginia Bakery will be closing. In fact, it has already closed.

Contact Kelly Yang at 

AUGUST 17, 2018