BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Shooting at San Pablo Park leaves 3 injured

DANIEL KIM | FILE

AUGUST 18, 2018

Updated 8/19/18: This article has been updated to reflect additional information from a Nixle alert released by the Berkeley Police Department.

Updated 8/18/18: This article has been updated to reflect additional information from a Nixle alert released by the Berkeley Police Department. 

At approximately 5:34 p.m. Saturday, Berkeley Police Department received reports of gunfire at San Pablo Park in South Berkeley, according to Lt. Peter Hong.

Three male victims were injured, as first reported by Berkeleyside. According to Hong, two of the victims were critically injured and are in the emergency room. A BPD Nixle alert issued later in the evening said one of the critically injured men is now in stable condition, while the other is still in critical condition.

According to an alert released Sunday morning, officers found one 25-year-old man at the south end of the park with several gunshot wounds to his midsection. At the north end of the park, officers found one 57-year-old man who was shot in his midsection and one 63-year-old man who was shot on his hand. Officers provided first aid until medical personnel could arrive.

The alert said that at the time of the incident, several groups of families and friends were inside the park. With information provided by witnesses, investigators learned that the shooting likely involved a vehicle driving by and shooting at a group of young men in their 20s. The ongoing investigation revealed that the vehicle and the group of young men exchanged gunfire.

According to the alert, investigators are still trying to determine if the 25-year-old victim was the intended target.

In the Nixle alert, BPD asked that anyone with any information about this incident contact the homicide unit at (510) 981-5741.

Check back for updates.

Contact Francesca Munsayac at 

AUGUST 20, 2018