BERKELEY'S NEWS • JANUARY 25, 2023

Year! Review! Read our 2022 Year in Retrospect Issue!

Developer continues plan for 50-unit complex after win against petitioners

YUKUN ZHANG | FILE

|

Staff

SEPTEMBER 12, 2018

Realtex, the developer interested in building a 50-unit housing complex on 2902 Adeline St., will continue with its proposed project after a petition against its zoning permit failed.

Realtex closed the deal for three parcels of land along Adeline Street and Russell Street, as first reported by Berkeleyside. CEO Cody Fornari told Berkeleyside that this move was a “big step” for the proposed project.

“We’re certainly excited to be an official neighbor, a good neighbor, in the area,” Fornari told Berkeleyside.

According to the court docket, Robert Lauriston and the other 29 members of “2902 Adeline St. neighbors” filed a petition against the city and Realtex alleging that the proposed project violated state law by not “(maximizing) the number of affordable units,” among several other complaints.

Lauriston said if the planned complex was built, the number of affordable housing units would increase but the number of bedrooms for affordable housing would decrease. According to the court docket, however, statements submitted by Susan Aw — the former property owner of 2902 Adeline St. — stated that two properties thought to be low-income by the petitioners were not low-income and thus, the project was not in violation of state law.

The Adeline neighbors’ petition was denied July 10 because of the city finding “substantial evidence” that properties thought by the petitioners to be owner-occupied or not low-income, were low-income, according to the court docket.

Lauriston said in an email for-profit developments will increase land price and “have a pernicious effect in the long term.”

“The goal of the petition was to force the city to follow state law,” Lauriston said in an email. “Though we lost in court, we did get the city’s attention.”

Yao Huang covers research and ideas. Contact him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @Yhoneplus.

SEPTEMBER 13, 2018