7 tips for successfully falling asleep during class

Isabella Schreiber/Staff

For most of us, falling asleep during class is usually unintentional. We put in our best effort to keep our eyes open and our hands scribbling, but sometimes it’s simply impossible to keep ourselves awake after only getting five hours of sleep the night before. Other times, we attend class knowing full well that we plan to snooze, only to jolt awake at the last minute when the iClicker questions pop up. For those of you wondering if there are any useful techniques for getting some shut-eye in class without drawing too much attention to yourself, the answer is yes. Luckily, the Clog knows them all, and we want to share them with you.

Pick the right seat

The ideal seat is a spot someone just got up from, so it’s still nice and warm when you sit down and cozy up for a nap — preferably in the middle of a row toward the back, so no one will be climbing over you.

Wear a hoodie

Or a hat. Basically, anything that can reasonably cover your face, so that when you eventually close your eyes, it’s more subtle. If you really want to be inconspicuous, just throw on a pair of sunglasses.

Bring ear plugs

It’s going to be really hard to focus on your sleep with the professor droning on in the background, so bring some small, ideally flesh-colored, ear plugs to tune out the sound. This works best when worn under the aforementioned hoodie.

Put googly eyes on your eyelids

This will help give the illusion that you are, in fact, awake. If you really want to go all-out on this one, feel free to draw on real eyes, in the style of Jack Sparrow.

Rest your head on your hand

This technique will prevent you from raising eyebrows when your head starts to bob around as you drift off.

Tape a pen to your other hand

You want to at least give the impression that you’re taking notes, and if the pen is lying idly on your desk, the illusion may be shattered. Securing the pen in a 90-degree fashion will help trick others into thinking you’re actually staying engaged.

Just stay home

Realistically, you’re doing more for your mental and physical health by staying in bed and getting higher-quality sleep. Unless attendance is mandatory, you’ll help yourself out by skipping if you’re going to doze off anyway.

There you have it — a definitive guide to making the most of your time during class. We at the Clog wish all of you a restful slumber!

Contact Hannah Nguyen at [email protected].