UC Berkeley students affected by Hurricane Florence discuss effects, aftermath

Michael Carboni/Courtesy

Hurricane Florence — the storm that continues to ravage the Carolina coast — has finally begun to subside, leaving residents, including many UC Berkeley students, to deal with its aftermath.

Florence, which first came ashore Friday, was labelled a Category 4 storm at its peak and left hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses without power. There have been at least 31 deaths related to Hurricane Florence as of press time.

Campus sophomore Anna Stephenson said in a Facebook message that her family members, who live in Wilmington, North Carolina, were greatly affected by the hurricane. She added that though the storm had subsided to a Category 1 hurricane by the time it hit her city, the resulting flood caused the most damage.

“My family is fine, they evacuated to the mountains and to Raleigh and have tried to go home twice but the roads are too flooded so they are just (going to) wait until it clears up,” Stephenson said in a Facebook message. “I have a little brother and older brother who both go to school in town and neither of them have heard anything about when to go back.”

Charlotte, North Carolina resident and campus junior Lane Hays said in a Facebook message that though her family was not endangered by the hurricane, some of her friends were greatly affected. Charlotte was hit by wind, rain and light flooding, according to Hays, and the Red Cross also used high schools in the area as shelters for people evacuated from regions greatly affected by the storm.

Campus freshman Jillian Carboni, who comes from Durham, North Carolina, expressed her concern for people living in the affected regions.

“There’s actually a tornado warning in North Carolina right now, which is having more (of) an (effect) on the area I’m from than the hurricane did,” Carboni said in a Facebook message. “My parents said the power has been out in their house since last night and the schools in the area have all cancelled for the first half of the week.”

Caroni added that her best friend from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington was forced to evacuate about one week ago and plans to live at home for a month before returning to school.

“It’s definitely really scary being this far from (the storm) when my family and friends are still there, but I’m really lucky that no one I know is getting hit by the worst of it,” Carboni said in a Facebook message.

Contact Amber Tang and Bella An at [email protected].