10 tips for staying organized throughout the semester

Daniela Cervantes/Staff

Being a college student can be stressful at times, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are 10 tips that will help you stay on top of your semester, regardless of the obstacles that you may find coming your way.

1. Purchase a planner to write down upcoming homework assignments, exams and meetings. Get in the habit of writing down any reminder you may forget later on, such as when to pay rent, your friends’ birthdays, and info sessions you want to attend.
  2. Download a calendar app or use the one already on your phone and/or computer. Sync your class schedule on there, so you can easily check which class you have next, or quickly make a note of any canceled discussions or lectures.
  3. Don’t take unnecessary school supplies with you to campus. If you don’t have every single one of your classes each day, make life easier for yourself and remove the excess materials.
  4. If possible, download PDFs of your textbooks onto your laptop to save space. Spare yourself the back pain, and don’t take three dense textbooks with you to Moffitt. Your laptop with all of your required texts will suffice.
  5. Have different notebooks or notebook sections for each of your classes. That way, you won’t have to frantically flip through your notebook every time you find yourself searching for a specific lecture. Keep all of your notes for one class in the same space.
  6. Pack your bag the night before, rather than waking up 10 minutes before your class starts and forgetting to take you iClicker or calculator with you.
  7. Title your notes by the lecture number to maintain a chronological ordering system. It’ll help you when you’re studying for midterms and your professor says only material from lectures one through seven will be covered.
  8. Download a sleep app if you have troubling falling asleep or pull way too many all-nighters. It’s important to get enough sleep to feel rested for your classes, so don’t get in the habit of cheating on your much-needed rest.
  9. Buy some colorful pens or highlighters to emphasize the essential points of each lecture. However, don’t get into a color-coded frenzy and feel the need to highlight every single word.
  10. Doing your homework last minute will only create unnecessary stress. Read the assignment the day it’s given, and try to work on it a little bit each day. If you have any questions, you’ll still have time to see your GSI.

There you have it, Bears. Follow these simple tips, and you’ll be on your way to a more organized semester in no time!

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected] .