Lower body injury sidelines linebacker Cameron Goode for remainder of 2018 season

Amanda Ramirez/Staff

A loss to the roster is the last thing any football team wants, especially after three resounding wins to begin a season.

Unfortunately, that’s a reality that Cal will now have to deal with, as it was announced Wednesday that redshirt sophomore linebacker Cameron Goode will not play for the remainder of the 2018 season because of a lower body injury.

“I really feel for him because he puts a lot into football, a lot of time and energy,” said Cal head coach Justin Wilcox. “But expect him to bounce back for the spring season.”

Goode began his season with an impressive interception for a 38-yard touchdown in Cal’s season opener against North Carolina. He has not seen playing time in either of the Bears’ two games since the win over the Tar Heels.

An integral part of the Bears’ defense in the 2017 season, Goode recorded 49 tackles in the first nine games of last season before suffering a season-ending injury against Colorado.

“Personally, I’m crushed for him,” said Cal defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter. “He had worked so hard to get to where he was and was really playing at a high level. So that part is difficult to replace.”

In Goode’s absence, fans should expect redshirt junior Malik Psalms and redshirt freshman Ben Moos, among others, to see extended playing time.

Sophie Goethals covers football. Contact her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @sophiegoethalss.