Daily Cal Arts & Entertainment picks for Emmys 2018 best-dressed

Zuri Hall/Courtesy

The Emmys is one of the few nights of the year where our favorite celebrities prove that they look just as good on the red carpet as they do on our laptop screens. Female prisoners become belles of the ball, handmaids get to let down their hair and dragon queens get to show us just how fiery they truly are. With that being said, certain characters went above and beyond when it came to their red-carpet looks, as true stars don’t just shine on-screen but off-screen as well. Without further ado, here are The Daily Californian’s top six best-dressed women at the Emmys.

Mandy Moore – wearing Rodarte

mandy-moore_people.courtesy

Mandy Moore makes it on this list because she finally found a dress as sparkly as her personality. The starlette rocked a sequinned brown number with a plunging neckline, all tied together by a fierce, new, dark hairdo. Her dark look was contrasted with lighter makeup, featuring an orange-pink smokey eye and Harry Winston silver dangling earrings. Mandy Moore proved that regardless of whether or not “This Is Us” would take home a win, she would conquer the red carpet.

Sarah Paulson – wearing Oscar de la Renta

sarah-paulson_vanity-fair-courtesy

Sarah Paulson’s black dress was anything but a horror story at this year’s awards ceremony. The new take on a classic V neckline made Paulson’s dress stand out as so much more than a simple Oscar de la Renta black ensemble. Sarah Paulson certainly spread her wings with this feathered piece, maybe even making it all the way to the West Wing of the White House. While this isn’t Paulson’s first Emmys, based on her confidence and hauntingly gorgeous look, it’s safe to say we’ll be seeing her again in the future.

Jessica Biel – wearing Ralph & Russo

jessica-biel_us-weekly-courtesy

Jessica Biel won’t be crying a river over her fashion choices anytime soon, unless those are tears of joy. Her white ball gown played with textures exquisitely. The half-circle, moon-shaped cutouts gave the dress volume without being overbearing. She donned loose waves similar to Moore’s, continuing the pattern of long wavy hair. It would be a sin not to put Jessica Biel on our best-dressed list.

Issa Rae – wearing Vera Wang

Issa-Rae_Instyle.Courtesy

Issa Rae was anything but insecure at this year’s Emmys red carpet. The confident actress challenged the trend of long designer gowns with something even better: a long designer jumpsuit. Issa’s baby-blue, bedazzled jumpsuit offered an effortless type of beauty. The “Insecure” star’s makeup was all drugstore products, proving that it isn’t expensive to look that fabulous. Issa Rae’s flowing outfit offered a nice splash of color and made her stand out, securing her spot on the Daily Cal’s best-dressed list.

Sandra Oh – wearing Ralph & Russo

sandra-oh_popsugar-courtesy

Sandra Oh was making an impact tonight in more ways than being the first Asian woman nominated for the lead actress in a drama series category. Her satin red gown and fluffed hair made her stand out from the crowd and made paparazzi jaws drop and gasp, “Oh.” The hard red cutouts offered a lovely contrast to the softness of the satin. This ensemble was a fantastic upgrade from the scrubs Doctor Yang dawned during her tenure at Seattle Grace.

Zuri Hall – wearing Fouad Sarkis

zuri-hall_zuri-hall-courtesy

Zuri Hall took a break from hosting her own show to attending another, and while her show wasn’t nominated for an Emmy award, that didn’t stop her from owning the red carpet. Her Fouad Sarkis dress looked like an actual flower and contained a beautiful mixture of tan, yellow, pink and orange undertones. Her makeup, dress and hair looked effortless. It would seem all of her hard work on E!’s “Fashion Police” paid off.

This year’s Emmy awards certainly will be setting the hair and makeup trends for the rest of the fall. Rhinestones and big waves are in, along with a new wave of empowering, bold confidence.

Samantha Banchik covers fashion. Contact her at [email protected].