UC Berkeley employee arrested on suspicion of being ‘NorCal Rapist’

The Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office announced the arrest of Roy Charles Waller, 58, a serial rape suspect, Friday morning during a press conference at the DA’s crime lab.

Waller has worked as a safety specialist in the UC Berkeley Office of Environment, Health and Safety for 25 years and is a resident of Benicia, as first reported by the Sacramento Bee. The NorCal Rapist is linked to at least 10 assaults of women in six counties from 1991 to 2006.

Waller was a positive match for the DNA profile of the NorCal Rapist and was linked directly to a sexual assault that occurred in Sacramento in 2006, according to a Sacramento Police Department press release issued Friday.

Waller is currently in custody in Sacramento, and is on investigative leave, according to a campuswide message sent by UCPD Chief Margo Bennett and Sharon Inkelas, special faculty adviser to the chancellor on sexual violence and sexual harassment.

“Needless to say, this news is shocking,” the message said. “None of the crimes he is alleged to have committed took place on or near campus, but this is nonetheless deeply unsettling.”

Campus spokesperson Janet Gilmore said in an email that according to UCPD and the Sacramento Police Department, “there is no indication that any crimes occurred within the campus community.” According to Gilmore’s email, Waller was hired as a safety specialist in 1992, and the campus had begun fingerprinting applicants in 2004.

“UCPD will be reviewing any open sexual assault cases to determine if any might be related,” Gilmore said in an email. “UCPD continues to work in cooperation with Sacramento police.”

Gilmore added in an email that the investigation is ongoing, and no additional information will be provided at this time. Anyone with information should contact the Sacramento Police Department tip line at 916-808-1773.

Sacramento Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Vance Chandler declined to comment further on the issue. Waller is being held on 12 counts of forcible sexual assault “with enhancements,” according to the SacBee.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Contact Francesca Munsayac and Anjali Shrivastava at [email protected].