BERKELEY'S NEWS • DECEMBER 03, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Reasons why UC Berkeley is still No. 1, despite recent rankings

MICHAEL DRUMMOND | FILE

SEPTEMBER 24, 2018

Two weeks ago, U.S. News & World Report dealt a devastating blow to the Berkeley faithful, ranking UC Berkeley as No. 2 on its ranking of top public schools, below UCLA. This week, the recovery process begins. If you’re still in the early stages of grieving this heartbreak, the Clog is here to remind you of all the ways in which, despite what the rankings may say, we are still No. 1.

No. 1 in squirrel life

When it comes to the vitality of a furry friend population, no other university in the world can compare. Berkeley squirrels are truly iconic, and we are proud to play host to the best population of squirrels on any college campus.

No. 1 in 4/20 celebrations

No one knows how to do 4/20 quite like UC Berkeley students. With the marijuana-honoring holiday drawing more than 2,000 revelers to Memorial Glade to partake in the festivities, UC Berkeley objectively outdoes all other schools in its celebration of this sacred day.

No. 1 in carillon bell towers

I’m sorry, but the last time I visited UCLA, I don’t recall seeing a 307-foot-tall bell tower that plays carillon music daily. The Campanile, the crown jewel of our campus, serves as a physical representation of the beacon of intellectual life and innovation that is UC Berkeley.

No. 1 in protests

From walk-outs to die-ins, Berkeley beats Westwood in every way when it comes to student activism. There are even two Wikipedia pages dedicated to the legendary protests that have transpired on UC Berkeley’s campus, while that count for UCLA is currently at zero.

No. 1 in elements on the periodic table

Until we see a Los Angelesium, we’re not impressed.

No. 1 in Nobel laureates

Facts are facts, and UCLA’s measly seven alumni Nobel laureates have nothing on our 22 Nobel prizes just for faculty alone — UC Berkeley alumni have won even more.

No. 1 in memes

No matter how hard others may try, there’s no meme page as great as UC Berkeley Memes for Edgy Teens.

These are just a few of many reasons why even though we might have been upset by official rankings, there’s no dethroning UC Berkeley from its place as No. 1 in our hearts.

Contact Hannah Nguyen at [email protected].

SEPTEMBER 24, 2018