UC Board of Regents to discuss plans for state funding, recent court cases

Phillip Downey/File

The UC Board of Regents will convene at the UCLA Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference Center from Tuesday through Thursday to discuss advocacy in state government, recent audits, court cases and policies about relations with Native American communities.

There are few votes planned for this week’s meeting, according to UC Office of the President, or UCOP, spokesperson Danielle Smith.

“There are really no big votes scheduled for this week’s meeting; most items are information/discussion-based in nature,” Smith said in an email. 

Among the topics of discussion will be the 2019 Sacramento advocacy plan, which will be examined by the Public Engagement and Development Committee on Wednesday. According to notices provided by regents, the advocacy plan by State Governmental Relations, or SGR, directly engages Sacramento legislators. This allows SGR to advance goals in education policy and fiscal outcomes.

The review of the advocacy plan “will outline recent accomplishments and plans to further strengthen our relationship with the state legislature in the coming year,” according to Smith.

The meeting will also feature presentations by UC Student Association President Caroline Siegel-Singh and UC Advocacy Network ambassador Jonathan Tsou, the notices said.

Also on this week’s agenda, the Compliance and Audit Committee will review the results of recent audits and the progress made in implementing their recommendations. These include a discussion surrounding the recent state audit of UCOP administrative expenditures, a summary of the UC system’s internal audit function and an update on the Academic Senate’s response to recommendations from the state auditor’s report on sexual harassment cases at UC campuses.

The Academic Senate, at the request of the regents, unanimously decided to comply with the recommendations set forth by the state auditor, according to notices provided to the Compliance and Audit Committee.

The Compliance and Audit Committee will also review recent court cases that involve the UC system or UC campuses. This includes Felarca, et al. v. Birgeneau, et al., and Robles v. Regents, et al. — both concerning the handling of recent protests.

The committee will also review the Regents v. Broad Institute case, which involves the CRISPR-Cas9 patent. The regents recently lost the case against the Broad Institute, after the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ruled that patents held for inventions by the Broad Institute, Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are distinct from the UC’s patents.

The agenda includes addressing policies and practices regarding the remains and artifacts of Native Americans. This comes before the Sept. 28 deadline for a UCOP-sanctioned work group consisting of representatives from the UC Advisory Group on Cultural Affiliation and Repatriation of Human Remains and Cultural Items, the Academic Senate and Native American tribes to submit a “review and revision” of existing UC policy on cultural repatriation.

The meetings will be livestreamed from the UCLA campus on the regents’ website.

Contact Alex Teodorescu at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @AlexTeodorescu8.