How to successfully coexist with every type of roommate

Isabelle Schreiber/File

By now, you’re probably all too familiar with the quirks of your roommates. If you’ve been talking with your friends, you may have noticed that there are certain similarities that allow one to classify roommates. With these classifications, you can get a better idea of how to deal with these fun quirks. Here are some roommate types and how you can deal with them.

Odd couple

This is the roommate who feels like the exact opposite of you. You’re clean while they’re messy, or vice versa. The best tip is to just establish boundaries between your side of the room and theirs, so nobody’s habits drive the other up the wall.

Sports locker

Their side of the room seems to have enough sports gear to fully equip teams in multiple different sports. As long as they keep their stuff on their side of the room, things should be fine. However, make sure to remind them to wash their equipment and jerseys every once in a while, or else the room could develop a range of interesting smells.

Party animal

They seem to have friends over all the time. Their friends might seem to spend as much time in your room as you do. This roommate can be harmless, just as long as their friends know to not touch your stuff and make sure they don’t keep you up. A little communication with this roommate about boundaries and bed times will help you out.

No-show

This is the roommate you never see come into the room. You fall asleep with them not there, and wake up with them sleeping in their bed. Just let them have their space and enjoy your time in the room alone.

Robot

The roommate who seems to be constantly studying or doing homework is probably a robot. They don’t seem to sleep or eat, which makes them seem like a schoolwork-doing android. Just leave this roommate be and consider buying an eye mask if they won’t turn off their desk lamp when you’re going to sleep.

Nerd

They seem to be either playing video games, talking about some role playing game, or going to do their strange hobby. If you want to know their latest obsession, they will be more than happy to tell you, but if you show no interest, they will leave you alone.

Silent

You never talk to them. You feel like perfect strangers with them. The best way to deal with this roommate is to leave them alone. You should only talk to them to ask for their opinion or permission when there’s something that affects them. This is the best way to coexist in this type of relationship.

Now, many people will fall into multiple categories. Hopefully, this list has given you a better understanding of your relationship with your roommate. Just remember to be respectful of them and not to let them walk all over you. If you follow these tips, you should have a pleasant time coexisting.

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .