Best TV shows to watch this fall that promote diversity

Flickr/Courtesy

After the Great Emmys Crisis of 2018, many, including us at the Clog, found ourselves searching for entertainment that hasn’t been whitewashed beyond recognition. Look no further! We’ve compiled a short but sweet list of some shows you should look forward to in the coming months that promote all kinds of diversity.

“Empire”

“Empire” follows the CEO of a record-producing entertainment company, Lucious Lyons, and is chock-full of drama. The show revolves around the question of which of his three sons, one of whom is gay, will inherit his company after Lyons is diagnosed with a terminal illness, or whether his ex-wife will swoop in and steal it out from under them. The show features a star-studded, primarily Black cast, including Taraji P. Henson and Terrence Howard as the leads.

“Atypical”

“Atypical” is about an 18-year-old boy on the autism spectrum who wants to find love. His family, going through its own troubles, tries to accommodate this new desire. It’s a comedy, however, and he ends up having a crush on his 26-year-old therapist, played by Asian American actress Amy Okuda. “Atypical” tackles both racial and disability representation portrayed on TV.

“Mayans M.C.”

The widely anticipated “Sons of Anarchy” spin-off is finally here! “Mayans M.C.” takes place near the California-Mexico border and follows EZ Reyes out of prison. Reyes longs for the American dream but can’t seem to attain it because of his involvement in the Mayans M.C. charter and border violence. Featuring a heavily Latinx cast and a look into Mexican culture, “Mayans M.C.” doesn’t disappoint in its plotline, as well as its diversity.

“Manifest”

This show is about some trippy “Twilight Zone” shit. Passengers of a flight, presumed to be dead, arrive five years in the future after, conveniently, all their friends and loved ones have moved on. But it gets spookier. We’ll leave it at that. It stars actors and actresses from many different backgrounds.

“Star”

“Star” is about a girl named, well, Star, who leaves the foster care system and travels to the ATL with her best friend and sister to try to make it in the music business. She’s taken under the wing of a woman named Carlotta, played by Queen Latifah, and the four women navigate the ups and downs of the industry. The cast is made up of a wonderfully diverse group of Black actors and actresses, both well known and not. You’re in for a wild ride.

“Black Lightning”

This superhero TV series, which takes place in the DC Universe, is about Jefferson Pierce, a retired superhero called “Black Lightning,” who now works as a high school principal. He comes out of superhero retirement when a local gang called “The 100” begins fucking shit up in his community. The show features a diverse Black cast with big names such as Cress Williams, China Anne McClain and Nafessa Williams. Nafessa Williams plays the elder Pierce daughter, who’s portrayed as an out-and-proud lesbian of color. Inspirational af.

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine”

Yes, the comedic police precinct series, though usually premiering in the fall of each year, will technically be out in early 2019. We’re still putting it in this list so you have a well-in-advance heads-up. “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” features two strong Latina leads, played by Melissa Fumero and Stephanie Beatriz, as well as two Black leads, played by Terry Crews and Andre Braugher. It all blends together seamlessly and makes for a great watch.

In a time when diversity is more important than ever, the Clog understands the importance of quality, wholesome entertainment. This list doesn’t even begin to touch upon the great TV shows that feature artists from so many backgrounds, but it’s a start, so get watching!

Contact Pooja Bale at [email protected].