How tabletop role-playing can help improve your social life

Pixabay/Creative Commons

Role-playing games can be great fun. They allow the player to enter into a fantasy world and pretend to be someone they’re not. These games can be a good way to escape the troubles of life and UC Berkeley. If you’ve ever played these games, you’ve probably realized that the skills learned in role-playing games can be applied to your normal life. These learned skills aren’t the ones that your characters possess in a game. Instead, they relate to how you play.

On the simplest level, tabletop role-playing games force people to interact with other people. If you have trouble with this, then these games can be a big help. It gives the perfect scenario for having fun with your friends. It can force them to stop talking about their most recent school woes and, instead, leave those worries behind and have some fun. This allows for a refreshing and nice experience with friends.

Role-playing teaches you confidence, a trick that can help you in your personal and professional life. In the game, you can pretend to be whoever you want. You can choose a character that is assertive and relatively confident. You may pretend to be that character as you interact with other characters played by other people. Now, take that confident character and pretend to have those traits in your normal life. 

This tip is really for those of us who are anxious when interacting with other people. It can be scary putting yourself out there, whether it be by interviewing for a job or just talking to a stranger. Role-playing a more confident version of yourself should distance yourself from the scenario at the very least and will hopefully lower your anxiety.

For those of you who have the art of socializing down, a regular role-playing game might teach you how to schedule and herd others. If you’re running one of these games, it forces you to learn how to herd different people to achieve one goal (in this case, being a structured objective). If you’re just a player showing up regularly, then you’re learning the basics of how to follow a schedule.

Hopefully, these ideas will help you use what you have learned in role-playing games during your time at UC Berkeley and your life beyond. At the very least, it can be an excuse to have fun and not think about class.

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected].